3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips announces Mileage XS 3516

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Bikemonkeys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My own opinion is that if you want better fuel economy but still need a truck, get a V6. it's basically what you're gonna have after you de-tune your Hemi for better mileag
I had a 2003 V6 Dakota quadcab, my boss had the same with the 318. I thought I would get better gas mileage with the V6, boy was I wrong. My boss had more power and got 2-3 miles to the gallon better.

And if I recall correctly the Hemi got better gas mileage than the current V6 in the Quadcab.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

at steady highway speeds
the 3.7 V6 Ram shows slightly better
MPG below 65 mph
than the 4.7 or 5.7 Rams of slightly more weight
but then over 66 mph
the v8 Rams show equal or better MPG
and at 75+ mph
the difference has grown to over 1 MPG

In city driving I would expect a V6 Ram
to get better MPG
if driven gently

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
And FeeJay, I buy the 15% gains. What's that 3 mpg better on a vehicle that gets 20 mpg. Hell, changing to performance and putting in 93 octane got me half that WITH LOTS MORE POWER!
I saw no gain in MPG with the flashpaq, maybe that's why I don't believe it

Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, you got to learn to keep the little right foot off the little right pedal. You get a couple extra HP and you want to use it...

Actually, that's what was nice about the Ga. trips when I was able to go once a month or so. When the old man first got sick, before the cancer with my mother, I was working two weeks on and two off to come help her with him. It gave me a good, controlled test for mpg with mods. Same route, same conditions (roughly) and I'd pretty much maintain the same speeds.

I found that the headers made me lose about 2 mpgs, and it shouldn't have been so, better breathing and all. Then the Ga. trips confirmed they actually got my about 1.5 mpgs. It's just they increased performance AND made the exhaust sound so damn good, that I was "getting on it" around town more without even realizing it...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i do a pretty controlled test. drive a whole weeks worth, same route to and from work each day, peg it at 63-65 on the highway, light foot on the local part. didnt see anything. it might have been cuz of that code it kept throwing it didn't work

Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of the 87 tune no matter what. True the 87 saved about $3 at the pump this time than I did but the 87 is going to te be getting fuel when I still have $5 of 91fuel left in my tank. Do that a couple of times and and the savings are astounding. Spending less this minute does not mean you are saving more money in the long run. Unless the flashpaq has really been redesigned I am not seeing better fuel economy in their new economy mode than you already get in performance tune. They are just banking on people thinking they are saving money using 87.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pirata
I'm not a fan of the 87 tune no matter what. True the 87 saved about $3 at the pump this time than I did but the 87 is going to te be getting fuel when I still have $5 of 91fuel left in my tank. Do that a couple of times and and the savings are astounding. Spending less this minute does not mean you are saving more money in the long run. Unless the flashpaq has really been redesigned I am not seeing better fuel economy in their new economy mode than you already get in performance tune. They are just banking on people thinking they are saving money using 87.
Actually I did this test about two and a half years ago. The Performance Tune, even figuring in the higher cost of premium gas, was actually about 4 cents cheaper per mile to run my truck than the Economy Tune with 87 octane gas. Of course that means you have to maintain the same driving habits with the Performance Tune, which for me, at least, is no easy task...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same experience when I had my 01 Ford 5.4L. The better mileage from the 93 octane tune with my Predator was greater than the few dollars more per tank to use 93 octane.
The added power was just a bonus.
I looked last night and they are still field testing the RAM Predator using customer vehicles right now. Hopefully, they get it on the market son.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by lxman1
I had the same experience when I had my 01 Ford 5.4L. The better mileage from the 93 octane tune with my Predator was greater than the few dollars more per tank to use 93 octane.
The added power was just a bonus.
I looked last night and they are still field testing the RAM Predator using customer vehicles right now. Hopefully, they get it on the market son.

I gave up on them a while ago. It'll be the SCT when I do the cam. Added bonus is KRC Performance is about three miles from my mom's place, they are an SCT dealer, tuner and can dyno the truck to fine tune their tunes right there.

Added bonus is now that Superchips 3815 supports the '02 4.7 H.O., I can just move the SC over to my Grand Cherokee.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, I really don't expect it anytime soon, but I am a patient man. I'll wait.

Didn't take long to get one out for the Challenger though.

Quick Reply: Superchips announces Mileage XS 3516