3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips announces Mileage XS 3516

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Superchips announces Mileage XS 3516

I'm posting this for all the "How do I get better gas mileage" and "I bought this POS 6000 lb. truck and am not getting the 30 mpg's I got with my Honda, what's wrong" wah, wah, wah, crybabies...
OK, that was a little extreme, but I just get tired reading post after post about how disappointed people are in the gas mileage their FULL SIZE TRUCK gets...

Superchips has just released the "Mileage XS 3516" for all '03-'08 Hemi trucks.

KEY FEATURES
  • Optimizes engine management for increased fuel economy
  • Validated calibrations and economy gains
  • Retrieve and clear check engine codes
  • Recalibrate odometer, speedometer & shift points for wheels, tires & gear upgrades
  • Calibrations to run lower octane gas on vehicles that require 89 octane saving you money at the pump
  • Free online updates at Superchips.com
  • Can be upgraded to fully featured Flashpaq performance programmer for additional charge

Tests performed by Superchips show about a 15% increase in fuel economy! The nice thing about this tuner is that it is 100% upgradeable to the 3815 over the 'net.

Also great news is that the "Mileage XS Tune" is becoming available to current owners of the 3815! Possibly as a replacement for the "economy" tune. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the 3815 can hold four tunes concurrently.

Personally I'm shocked, but pleasently surprised that SC has seen fit to make the tune available to 3815 owners. Actually doing the right thing to support the existing customer base rather than trying to score a quick buck! It certainly hasn't been their MO previously, but is a breath of fresh air that I hope will start a trend for them...

http://www.superchips.com/products.p...+Ram+Hemi+5.7L

Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
RedneckDodge86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome. I gotta goto work right now but when i get home that baby is getting installed.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Tests performed by Superchips show about a 15% increase in fuel economy! The nice thing about this tuner is that it is 100% upgradeable to the 3815 over the 'net.
I don't believe that.

Though if it turns out to be true, I might be giving flashpaq another try. We'll see what people have to say about it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

I agree. I think it is BS.

Only way it would work is if you tape it to the backside of your gas pedal.

Just my two cents. Time will tell.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

It will probably make the truck run worse, I'll just stick with the 91 tune and the much better mileage it gives over the econo tune. I'll just wait and see what results you guys see and how bad gas gets before I install it.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I will wait and see if it works, and if it does, I will for sure be on that!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SuperChips should follow Goodyear and many other companies
(including the tests done under Grant's supervision on Mythbusters)
and do the correct MPG test to prove their claim:

-----
The right way to do it
Goodyear goes by the book with Fuel Max test
When Goodyear introduced its new Unisteel tires with Fuel Max technology last year, and claimed that they were more fuel-efficient than its older designs, the company invited the press to come to its San Angelo Proving Grounds in Texas and observe an SAE/TMC Type II fuel consumption test, pitting old against new.

In this case, two identical tractor-trailers — a control rig and a test rig with the same powertrain, mileage, horsepower, GCW, tires, pressure, etc. — were fitted with removable, portable fuel tanks, which were weighed before and after identical runs of at least 28 miles at the exact same highway speed. Fuel consumption was measured by tank weight, and the two rigs were compared as a baseline. Three runs, which must produce results within 2 percent of each other, were made. In this case, the two rigs’ fuel consumption figures were consistently within 1 percent of each other.

Next, the test was repeated, with the control rig unchanged, and the test truck fitted with the component to be tested — in this case, the new tires. Over the course of three runs, with results within 2 percent of each other, the test truck had consumed about 7.5 percent less fuel per run.

Claim made, point proved, case closed.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get better milage with mine on performance.. I got a good 2-3 mpg more outta it. plus more power.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, don't get me wrong fellas, I won't be downloading it personally. I put it up for the dozens of guys crying about the gas mileage their truck gets. I especially love the 2wd owners that lift their trucks like 6-8", put monster mudders on them, with their $400 a piece 24" wheels and then get on here asking how to improve their crappy mileage, all the while bi*ching out Dodge.
My own opinion is that if you want better fuel economy but still need a truck, get a V6. it's basically what you're gonna have after you de-tune your Hemi for better mileage.

And FeeJay, I buy the 15% gains. What's that 3 mpg better on a vehicle that gets 20 mpg. Hell, changing to performance and putting in 93 octane got me half that WITH LOTS MORE POWER! I'm sure that 15% is attainable when the tune takes power away. Yea, when you look at it from that perspective, 15% better fuel economy doesn't seem like it's an unreasonable claim...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
slapshot12
Professional

I'll be curious to see what the real world end user results will be. Mine is stock, and on E10 gas, it gets 13-14 mpg around town. It sucks, but I didn't buy a Honda.

Quick Reply: Superchips announces Mileage XS 3516