3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic or manual...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default automatic or manual...

I hate automatics, I have a 6sp 5.7 2500 Ram.

How manny of you prefer the automatic, or like shifting your own gears, I have a great fear of control, I want it, Don't want the complexity of mds, or a transmisson that dose what it wants.

I tow, even with a 6sp, never burnt up a clutch yet, killed a few automatics ( they were Fords )

I'm no nascar racer, the 6 sp in the 2500 is built for torque.

With gas prices on the up and up and up, I wounder why standard transmissons are not making more of a come back, Dodge still offers a manual with the 4.7 in Ram.

I admit automatics are better for towing, BUT i WILL NEVER own a automatic.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Johnboy7701
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a 5 speed in the Stang... but I wouldnt have minded a 5-6 speed in the truck... but I get to relax driving the truck though.... you drive a manual, the auto drives you....

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM
justntexas07
Veteran

Resale value is usually better in trucks with an automatic and living in Houston, dealing with all the traffic, I would never have a standard as my everyday driver, maybe a weekend toy.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 PM
kicker417
Veteran

no actually manual transmission's are better for towing

Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
dazed01
Veteran

All the cars I've had prior were manual, but they were all sports cars. I'm kind of liking the automatic in this truck. It has more then enough *** to get going when I give it some gas too.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Tizi
Professional

That was a decision I had to make when I bought my rig. I decided to go with auto since we use it for recreation (camping trips, boating, etc.). Long drives it is nice to chill and bs with the wife and not worry about shifting. Our other 2 cars an Acura and Honda are both manual. I love to "drive" those. If I was a few years younger and single, I might have opted for a stick in the truck to get the full effect of that Hemi.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Ben D.
Champion

stick shift for the win. autotragic transmissions are a failure by concept. they are not reliable in any way unless thousands of dollars are sunk into them to make them bulletproof. where as teh stick shifts dodge uses. GETRAG by mercedes Benz baby are basically bombproof. IDK i'm fine with shifting gears once you do it all day long you just do it. i can talk hold conversations hell i can do anything. and I will never own an autotragic either. if i wanted a p.o.s. i would just take some laxative and scoop it out of the toilet. not gonna pay 30k plus for it lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Tizi
Professional

Believe me, I am not a newbie here, I chose based upon many factors, one being talking to my lovely wife. And keep in mind, she had to buy into the transaction from day one. She doesn't wear the pants, but she does have a say in what size are worn.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Redbud66
Professional

thing about all the autos I've ever driven is that they downshift like crazy which drives me nuts. I don't want the stupid thing shifting down to 4th on the highway to go up a hill when I can just as easily do it in 6.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the manual is probably worth at least 2 MPG in city driving if the driver understands at what rpm and load the fuel economy of the engine is best

however, it is worth test driving a new Honda Fit with the automatic transmission just to experience how they have put the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to allow 'going manual' when you wish to

It is also worth test driving a Nissan Murano to experience how that CVT works,
or one of the Dodge/Jeep vehicles with that same company's (JATCO) continuous variable transmission

Quick Reply: automatic or manual...