3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic or manual...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
the manual is probably worth at least 2 MPG in city driving if the driver understands at what rpm and load the fuel economy of the engine is best

however, it is worth test driving a new Honda Fit with the automatic transmission just to experience how they have put the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to allow 'going manual' when you wish to

It is also worth test driving a Nissan Murano to experience how that CVT works,
or one of the Dodge/Jeep vehicles with that same company's (JATCO) continuous variable transmission
I'm intimately familiar with the CVT in the Nissan Murano as well as the CVT in the Dodge Caliber/Jeep variants. I used to be a warranty tech for that company, and will earnestly tell anyone to stay as far away as they can from any vehicle that uses those units.

The Murano's transmission, designated CVT3 by JATCO, has a long history of catastrophic failures, ranging from electrical problems to belt breakage all the way to broken pulleys or shafts. They are ticking time bombs.

The lighter duty units in the Dodge/Jeep vehicles, designated CVT2 by JATCO, has somewhat of a better history, but even then, it's still a failure waiting to happen. Most of the problems never actually get solved, they just get swept under the rug.

Then again, what would anyone with any mechanical knowledge at all expect from a transmission that is nothing more than an over complicated snowmobile clutch & belt assembly?

Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Ben D.
Champion

i agree witht hat. CVT is nice because of the smoothness but it's not meant for a heavy vehicle. atv's and snowmobiles NP but a car eeeeee.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My new Caliber has the CVT2 and a lifetime powertrain warranty so no concerns there.
And most semi trucks have manual transmissions due the the very narrow powerband of the huge diesel engine and most over the road trucks use 10 to 18 gears.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
KC9JVC
Rookie

Originally Posted by lxman1
And most semi trucks have manual transmissions due the the very narrow powerband of the huge diesel engine and most over the road trucks use 10 to 18 gears.
I won't disagree that most semi trucks on the road today have manual transmissions, however Schneider National is currently purchasing "100's of automatics."

http://www.schneiderjobs.com/drivers...perienced.html <-- second question from the top.

Quick Reply: automatic or manual...