3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: To lift or not to lift?
Go with the lifted look
39.13%
Go with the SRT-10 look
34.78%
Keep it like it is.
21.74%
other - Explain below.
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

To lift or not to lift, that is the question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Dodgeram2577
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To lift or not to lift, that is the question??

Hello,

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x2 Big Horn w/5.7Hemi and I am pondering the thought of getting a 4" to 6" Suspension lift for my truck. I was wondering if I should really do it. My problem is I like the SRT-10 look but I also like the lifted truck look as well.

I been reading the forums alot but wondering what people think first hand of lifting a truck and the advantages and disadvantages.

Would this also void my warranty?

I attacted a picture of what my truck looks like now. The only thing I done so far was the SRT-10 20" rims and tires. I would of course sell these if I do lift my truck.

Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails To lift or not to lift, that is the question??-mytruck.jpg  

Last edited by Dodgeram2577; 10-06-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
johnmichael

Well, with those type rims/tires, the lowered stance would go better...you would need a smaller rim/larger tire look to pull off the raised stance.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmichael
Well, with those type rims/tires, the lowered stance would go better...you would need a smaller rim/larger tire look to pull off the raised stance.

Just my 2 cents...
Yeah he said that.

I would say go with the lifted look. I love lifted trucks.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Dodgeram2577
Rookie

Originally Posted by johnmichael

Just my 2 cents...
I would not keep those rims and tires, I would buy all new rims and tires at the same time I buy the lift. Thinking Toyo or Nitto tires. I would go with 18" rims, maybe 20". I would have to find some bada$$ rims thou.

I was quoted $2,200 for the 6" Suspension lift, about $1,000 for the rims, and about $320 for each tire. Total would be around $4,500.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few obveous disadvantages to any 4"-6" lift.

IMO, if the truck is a daily driver, and you plan to keep it for a long time, I would'nt lift it. This is just my opinion though, I think lifted trucks are awesome.

If the truck is a daily driver, replacing suspension parts on a lifted truck will become a less convinient for you. Even simple things like shocks, will most likely need to be purchased by the lift manufacturer. Repair shops wont be able to get a same day replacement part as easy, etc.

Most people could care less about this I understand, but it IS somthing to consider.

Consider that to the majority of truck buyers, a lifted truck will have less resale appeal. Even if you take care of your truck, there are just alot of ignorant people that will label the truck as beaten offroad.

I notice your truck is an 08. Lifting the truck 4"-6" will throw the suspension warranty out the window, and if some custom fabrication and cutting is involved, possibly more.

The upside however is that the truck will be lifted, and most likely look pretty cool.

BUT, i think, that with a 4x2 ram, since the front end sits nice and low, you should just consider leveling the rear with some drop shackles. It will look sick, wont really effect anything besides rear shocks, and most likely would be ignored during warranty service, because its such a small change.

Either way its your truck, your choice, good luck!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

I think it really depends on the stance you want, do you want a sleek sporty truck or a big imposing truck? Both can look really good if done properly. Now on to some advantages/disadvantages...

Personally I'd go with a 4 inch lift, I think it looks better than a 6. That's just my opinion. As you said, you would have to change your rims, I don't think the SRT style rims will work on a lifted rig (if you do sell them let me know I might be interested in buying them). Lifting a Ram with independant front suspension can cause problems if it's not done properly. An improper lift will tear the joints up and can be hard on the steering rack and suspension components. If you're serious about doing it, the guy you want to talk to is HammerZ71. Lifts can make the ride a bit more uncomfortable too, but the extra ground clearance is great if you plan on doing any offroading.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Dodgeram2577
Rookie

Or I can just stick with what I was going to do with my truck.

Corsa Exhaust
CAI - most likely a K&N since RamHammer is 4 month behind on backorders.
Maybe a superchip.

Level the backend of my truck.

Maybe get an SRT-10 hood

And I was considering HID headlights/Fog lights.

This would cost me alot less then that lift. Plus I do have a little addiction to speed and wanting MORE !!!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeram2577
Or I can just stick with what I was going to do with my truck.

Corsa Exhaust
CAI - most likely a K&N since RamHammer is 4 month behind on backorders.
Maybe a superchip.

Level the backend of my truck.

Maybe get an SRT-10 hood

And I was considering HID headlights/Fog lights.

This would cost me alot less then that lift. Plus I do have a little addiction to speed and wanting MORE !!!

Sounds like the best plan for you.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
Sounds like the best plan for you.
Seconded. Lifted trucks are generally not known for being fast.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
justntexas07
Veteran

It's a 2WD, go with the SRT-10 look.

Quick Reply: To lift or not to lift, that is the question??