3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory oil filter wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chill out bro i've never heard of just changing the filter either. I just change the oil with it at around that same mileage.

idk mine i just took right off. put the filter wrench on and took it off. it was snug, tighter than i put the new one on with but wasn't ridiculous. also mine had an oring on it as well which some say there OEM one did not.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
slapshot12
Professional

Mine was a royal P.I.T.A to get off the first time. I broke my oil filter wrench and nearly broke the replacement before it finally gave in and loosened up. If I could find the person that torqued that thing on, I'd give them a bloody nose.

I use K&N filters, they have a handy 1" nut on the bottom. It makes removing it a snap with a socket.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepis
I'm not sure, just a thought, I am also not a mechanic.

Beer drinker and pretty girl watcher, yes. Mechanic, I am not.
But, he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! LOL

Old 10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with what others have said. Factory filters are a bitch to get off the first time. I struggled with my 05 Hemi for about an hour before I broke it loose.

I guess if you do not like to waste time go to a Jiffy Lube and pay them $20 to do it. Just watch them to actually make sure they do it, and oil the new one so next time you are all set.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM
uspatriot
Professional

Mabe if you worked out once in a while, you wouldn't have tiny arms and would be able to loosen it.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by uspatriot
Mabe if you worked out once in a while, you wouldn't have tiny arms and would be able to loosen it.
Every thread i've seen you post in so far you do nothing but talk ****. Where's a mod when you need one...someone ban this internet tough guy troll already.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 AM
texas_rebel_1980
Professional

i took it off with my hand. no lie. and i tighten them with my bare hand too. no need for a strap or wrench or whatever. never had a leak either......

Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uspatriot..PM sent.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 AM
throberts
Professional

had the same prob here last month on the first change....solution was one of those caps with the 1" nut you place over the top...beat it on with a rubber mallet and took an impact wrench to it (very very slowly). i was cussing for hours over that thing, I would avoid the old screw driver trick on these factory mounted filters....might end up being a costly tow to the shop should it shear, and judging by the amount of torque it took to get mine off...it would have in a heartbeat.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Traceis3
here is a good answer to your dumb question. Filters trap and hold all sediment from the engine. Its a new vehicle and all metal shaving I can get out the better .I take it you know nothing on how a new engine works So like my mother says if ya aint got nothing smart to say keep your piewhole shut.
Way to be a jerk off and alienate people. 16 posts and you make yourself look like a total ***. I know I don't have many posts myself, but be polite, especially when people are trying to help you. He could have just as easily said to use the search function, as there are multiple threads on this topic already. So who is the dumb one?

Quick Reply: Factory oil filter wont budge