3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another suspension question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
trax
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I put the max 100# of air in the bags and measured for the hell of it one day, and it raises the back about 1.25". But when I load my ATV it only takes about 30# of air to level. You really don't want to raise the rear to level the truck. It takes about 2.25" of lift in the front to give it a perfectly level stance. So opt for the 2 or 2.5" keys or just crank the bolts enough to bring it up about 2" or so. Then do the air bags, when deflated you'll have a perfectly level truck. When you put a load in the bed or tow a heavy trailer, eye ball it when adding air to the point it sits level again or set a level on the bed rail if your on level ground.
good idea. and is cranking the bolts safe? with it level and some air bags could i fit 35's with offset rims?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did a "Lifting a Truck 101" in the off-road section a while back, Pretty sure I "stickied" it to the top, go read it, I explained the pluses and minuses of cranking vs. leveling keys in it.
With at least 2" more in the front you can just barely clear 35's if you use wheels with about 4.5" of backspacing. But on big bumps or off road you will scrub and probably scrape a bit on real tight turns, but people do run 35's with just a level kit. It may be better to find a metric size tire that runs maybe 34-34.5" instead, they are out there...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did 3" torsion keys in the front and a 3" add a leaf in the rear! Plus a 3" body lift. With the torsion keys and add a leaf, it actually raised the rear more then the front! But after a year and with hauling heavy loads quite often, my truck is actually level now! But it took a lot of break in for the leaf to settle! If you want something that will level your truck immediately then go with air bags like Hammerz71 said! With the skyjacker add a leaf it really stiffened up the bed of the truck! Even though it has settled, it is still more like a 2500 then a 1500.

Last edited by dodgenitto; 10-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Another suspension question...