3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gibsons exaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
uspatriot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibsons exaust

Dose anyone have a Gibson exhaust system, is it too loud inside the cab?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
scooter123456

I have a Gibson Extreme Dual exhaust (Single in/Dual out) and I can say it's pretty obnoxious. It's not too bad driving normally with the windows up, but with them down and/or when getting on it, it really is loud (I actually like it).

I went with it because it spec'ed more horsepower and torque than the others and the Gibson I had on my previous '98 Durango (5.9L) sounded great. Of course the Durango and Gibson single in/single out sounded different; not nearly as obnoxious.

The Magnaflow sounds good when getting on it, but it's really quiet when driving with a light foot.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Geed
Rookie

Is the Gibson Extreme where the the dual outlets exit out the back corners, behind each rear tire?

I am scheduled to have a Gibson Swept Side stainless steel system installed next Wednesday on my '08 1500 QC Hemi - that one is the single outlet which exits behind the pass. side rear tire, same as the stock setup. From all the reading I have done I get the impression that it will be slightly louder than stock and a nice deep mellow growl when you get on it. This is the quote from Gibson's website...

"Every Gibson system is engineered to provide a civilized tone. In most cases, this will be moderately louder than stock, but with a rich throaty tone that is pleasing to the ear..... Single outlet 2 to 4 decibels inside the cab, Split rear 4 to 6 decibels inside the cab"

If you want I will post my results later next Weds afternoon when I get back.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
stevo3176

I had the regular gibson single side swept exhaust. I loved it for the first week. It in my opinion sounded really bad ***. Then after a week I started to notice how the MDS made it sound terrible. I ended up selling the exhaust because it was so annoying when the MDS kicked in. I can't describe it but it is absolutely terrible. Unless you plan on taking short trips or leaving it in tow mode I would not bother with the exhaust. I wish I learned this before I bought my exhaust.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Geed
Rookie

Originally Posted by stevo3176
I had the regular gibson single side swept exhaust. I loved it for the first week. It in my opinion sounded really bad ***. Then after a week I started to notice how the MDS made it sound terrible. I ended up selling the exhaust because it was so annoying when the MDS kicked in. I can't describe it but it is absolutely terrible. Unless you plan on taking short trips or leaving it in tow mode I would not bother with the exhaust. I wish I learned this before I bought my exhaust.
Well, that blows. It really sounded that bad?? I guess I'm glad I heard this before - now I just have to see if I can change my order before my install date next week. My other option is a Magnaflow with the same single exit setup. What did you replace the Gibson with??

Would anyone else like to chime in on the Gibson/MDS sound?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Anything loud with MDS is going to sound like doo doo when the MDS is on.
Magnaflow is the best flowing that I have seen, but it isn't overly loud.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Geed
Rookie

I just got off the phone with Magnaflow HQ in Cali and they told me that they do not make a cat-back system for a 2008 1500 QC short bed Hemi with independent front suspension!?!?!? What's up with that?! From my knowledge they don't make a solid front axel 2008. They said they make one for 2009 but no systems for 2008 with these specs. I find that suprising since almost every other exhaust manufacturer has a system for this application.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

Actually, a buddy of mine with the 2008 with the independent front suspension ordered a magnaflow exhaust not too long ago. When he tried to install it, it wouldn't fit, he had to go in to a shop and get them to custom bend an exhaust for him. He ended up paying almost two grand in the end.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
stevo3176

I went back to the stock exhaust since I still had it. Unless the motor changes the MDS is gonna keep me from getting an exhaust.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick Reply: Gibsons exaust