3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another oil thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:58 PM
bigmike05ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 50 cents

I run mopar oil filter 20w50 castrol conventional year round and I change it every 4,500 hundred miles and it still looks like it could go 3,000 more miles comes out very lite brown and still thick.....ps. and if you ask why I run thick oil cause I make my engines last forever

Attached Thumbnails Another oil thread!!-mikey_ff75e8d8ce3a46f281b13ed12413cf52.jpg  
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something I forgot to tell you

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
I have run Amsoil in mine since the 5k mark and it is just under 90K now. I run the mobil1 filter because its good, and I can get it locally. I have run 5W30 since the change, summer and winter. My change rate has been extended to 7500 miles now, and while the oil is dark when I drain it, you can still see through it. It doesn't carbon up like conventional oils. I would runthe new oil for 3000 miles the first time and change it. If you have any sludge buildup now, the synthetic will strip it away rapidly, so you REALLY want to keep an eye on it during this time. If it starts getting very dark---change it. This will keep the sludge from building up in the pan which could cause you some problems too.

Once you've got it cleaned up, then you'll be amazed at how long the oil will actually run
If you're running the Hemi---and most of us are---if you get the mobil1 M1-301---the filter is the same price as the 201 but double the capacity.
You also have to add one more quart of oil---8 instead of seven--but if you're going to go to extended drains, there's no need to change in between.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

If you're running the Hemi---and most of us are---if you get the mobil1 M1-301---the filter is the same price as the 201 but double the capacity.
You also have to add one more quart of oil---8 instead of seven--but if you're going to go to extended drains, there's no need to change in between.
The part number for mine was M1-204??? Wonder what the difference is? Both of us have 05 5.7's right?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
sos
All Star

I think the M1-201 is the filter for the 08 Hemi, which for whatever reason, they changed from the one they were using for years beforehand. Not completely sure, but it does sound like the number I got for mine.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
jimguy
Default mobil 1

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
To the guy who said Mobil 1 isnt a synthetic aka Group IV oil in America and Group III in Europe can you please back up your claim. Mobil 1 meets MB spec which requires fully synthetic oil for long change interval.
Hey guys if you see this posted twice sorry I didnt see the first reply so Idid it again. Mobil switched from a group 4 base (which most people consider a true synthetic) to a group 3 base which is hydrocracked petroleum based oil. Not that it matters its still a good oil. for more info on this go to bobistheoilguy.com there is posts on there about mobil1 not being group 4 base stock.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The 08 Hemi has 22mm threads on the filter. Different than 07-back.
I wouldn't use 20w50 in the Hemi. Too thick!!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Hey will this work for a 4.7 switching to a larger filter?? Actually I think you would need a longer not wider filter because of the room factor on the 4.7 with that drain channel thing below the filter.

Sorry if I did this wrong I did a copy paste from GONEFISHIN's quote

What if you hook up a remote oil filter with the dual filter set-up (like a Trans-Dapt Performance Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kit) ?? Wouldn't that work even better??

Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Default Mobil1 not FS

Originally Posted by jimguy
Hey guys if you see this posted twice sorry I didnt see the first reply so Idid it again. Mobil switched from a group 4 base (which most people consider a true synthetic) to a group 3 base which is hydrocracked petroleum based oil. Not that it matters its still a good oil. for more info on this go to bobistheoilguy.com there is posts on there about mobil1 not being group 4 base stock.

Jimguy,- Rumours abound. M1 is a PAO product - some also have a Group 5 content. Mobil's Group3 (semi synthetic) products do not mention SuperSyn on their labels

Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,
The M1-301 is the same filter as the 201 except it's double the capacity at the same price. As far as the 4.7---I really don't know. If its the same M1-201 as the 5.7 uses, it would be the same.

As far as the Remote filter goes, with multiple filters, I don't know that you would be doing any better than a single.
The doubles give much greater flow---primarily for racing purposes, or if it needs to be remote located due to the engine size, or ease of changing. Personally, I wouldn't go to the expense and trouble of the setup unless you're building something that requires greater than stock oil flow.

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 11-09-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Another oil thread!!