3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd vs awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
stratusguy02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mighty4
does anyone know anything on this site? I have asked many question and never seem to get any responses? Probably the first response i have ever got up there so far?? Thought these sites were made to be helpful to others?
Based on some of the responses I have seen in this thread, you are correct.

I am not really sure what you are asking for though. Are you trying to convert your AWD truck to a part time 4WD truck? I am not sure what is involved in something like this, but at the very least you will have to change your transfer case.

These are the two part time 4WD transfer cases:
Availability: NV271 - Standard 4WD ST
NV273 - Standard 4WD SLT Plus
Type: Part Time
Operating Modes: 2WD; 4WD High, Locked; Neutral;
4WD Low, Locked
Shift Mechanism: NV271 - manual, NV273 - electric
Low-Range Ratio: 2.72
Center Differential: None

Since I couldn't submit a link to another dodge forum, I just pasted the info from there to here for you.

I looked over the 04 service manual and there are three versions for that year:

NV241 GENII - Manual transfer case that uses shifter on the floor (I have this one)
NV243 - Electronic part time transfer case (same as the NV241, but uses a switch on the dash to change gears).
NV244 GENII - Full time transfer case that you probably have.

I looked over the pictures of the NV243 and the NV244 and they APPEAR to have the same electrical connector, but I could not say for sure that if you plugged in your connector that you could control it. You might also need to replace the switch on the dash with the switch that comes with the NV243.

Maybe you can find an 04 1500 at a salvage yard and that has an NV243 and you could pull that and the switch just so you have it.

Last edited by stratusguy02; 11-18-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: bad web link
Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Johnzer

The dodge all wheel drive is exactly what it says it is, applies power to all the wheels all the time, the ratio is 48% to the front and 52% to the rear. the 4hi setting locks all four wheels to where they are turning at the same speed (not for use on dry pavement}, and the 4lo setting gears it down ( do not exceed 25mph in this setting) very high torque in the low setting... great for stump pulling .....

awd offers several advantages... slightly faster on aceleration, you can take corners much better (Faster} better traction in bad weather, all over the awd is a superior system...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

Originally Posted by Johnzer
The dodge all wheel drive is exactly what it says it is, applies power to all the wheels all the time, the ratio is 48% to the front and 52% to the rear. the 4hi setting locks all four wheels to where they are turning at the same speed (not for use on dry pavement}, and the 4lo setting gears it down ( do not exceed 25mph in this setting) very high torque in the low setting... great for stump pulling .....

awd offers several advantages... slightly faster on aceleration, you can take corners much better (Faster} better traction in bad weather, all over the awd is a superior system...
You pay a fuel economy price for all these "advantages"

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Johnzer
Default mpg

I average between 13.8 to 15.4 on average driving, and the weight of my right foot, on the interstate at 2000rpm and 73mph I average 18.6 to 19.2 on a stock setup although I do use mobil one.... pretty happy with what I am getting compared to some others on here. There is a weight penalty on all 4wd and awd systems thats where you lose your milage you do gain a few 10ths mpg with the awd over the 4wd system due better traction. I have a 2005 laramie 1500 with the 5.7 AWD.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

Don't forget about all the losses associated with the drivetrain. An AWD system is constantly losing energy at all four wheels while a part time 4wd system is only losing the energy at four wheels while it is engaged, otherwise only via two wheels. It does lose some in the front axle when not engaged, but that is far less than an engaged system. It can be compared to riding down a hill in neutral vs. riding a gear.

I don't understand your traction arguement, what are you trying to say with that?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Carrolls Ram
Rookie

The 4x4 system on a ram is technically only 3 wheel drive where as AWD is all 4 from what ive read. The front diff on the 1500's doesnt have a locker in it.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
stratusguy02
Professional

Originally Posted by Carrolls Ram
The 4x4 system on a ram is technically only 3 wheel drive where as AWD is all 4 from what ive read. The front diff on the 1500's doesnt have a locker in it.
So you're saying that the AWD has a different front axle than the 4WD?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
docdan7

I agree with Johnzer and also have the AWD option. In my opinion (others may disagree but it's a free country) it is a practical option with several advantages over part-time systems: Less spin on wet surfaces, balanced traction and handling in snow, less push through the corners. I would use synthetic in the front and rear differentials to markedly reduce differential friction. Change fluid in the transfer case every 30K. The front differential is open... power is transferred to both wheels but will follow the path of least resistance and you can possibly spin one side without the other but in practice I've never been able to get that to happen. Most rear differentials are open as well unless you have a limited slip option there. There aren't a lot of these around and you may experience a bit of envy from others.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

its a different t-case, and probably different gear ratio in the front diff.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Carrolls Ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by stratusguy02
So you're saying that the AWD has a different front axle than the 4WD?
Im pretty sure its the same on both setups. But idk for sure.

Originally Posted by docdan7
I agree with Johnzer and also have the AWD option. In my opinion (others may disagree but it's a free country) it is a practical option with several advantages over part-time systems: Less spin on wet surfaces, balanced traction and handling in snow, less push through the corners. I would use synthetic in the front and rear differentials to markedly reduce differential friction. Change fluid in the transfer case every 30K. The front differential is open... power is transferred to both wheels but will follow the path of least resistance and you can possibly spin one side without the other but in practice I've never been able to get that to happen. Most rear differentials are open as well unless you have a limited slip option there. There aren't a lot of these around and you may experience a bit of envy from others
I agree that the AWD is better for everyday ran and snow driving. Personally i dont like the idea of it, but where i live i also dont need it 24/7. Mileage seems to be the same with either system and just depends on ur driving habbits. I know the rams with 20's normally come with an LSD or atleast a good majority of the 4x4's do, and I can spin 3 tires in 4x4 on dry pavement