3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd vs awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
stratusguy02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black_03
its a different t-case, and probably different gear ratio in the front diff.
How could the front diff have a different gear ratio?

Originally Posted by Carrolls Ram
Im pretty sure its the same on both setups. But idk for sure.
So then how is the 4WD only a "3 wheel drive" and the AWD "all 4"? If the front axle is open, the front axle is open. The transfer case has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by stratusguy02
So then how is the 4WD only a "3 wheel drive" and the AWD "all 4"? If the front axle is open, the front axle is open. The transfer case has nothing to do with it.
sure it does. if the transfer case is solid through (locked) it locks the front diff to the rear diff so their speeds can't be different.

think about just the front diff: if one wheel loses traction, it speeding up speeds up the diff. but if in 4wd and one front wheel loses traction it can't speed up the diff because that diff is connected solid to the rear diff, so the wheel stays put. but if you spin one front and both rears (or just one rear on an open rear diff 4x4) both of the differentials can speed up together.

the locked transfer case makes a 4wd rear lsd a "locked" 3wd, and a 4wd non-lsd truck a locked 2wd

Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
sure it does. if the transfer case is solid through (locked) it locks the front diff to the rear diff so their speeds can't be different.

think about just the front diff: if one wheel loses traction, it speeding up speeds up the diff. but if in 4wd and one front wheel loses traction it can't speed up the diff because that diff is connected solid to the rear diff, so the wheel stays put. but if you spin one front and both rears (or just one rear on an open rear diff 4x4) both of the differentials can speed up together.

the locked transfer case makes a 4wd rear lsd a "locked" 3wd, and a 4wd non-lsd truck a locked 2wd
I agree with your point, I think you misunderstood me. I making the point that with an open front diff, how does the AWD system provide better traction than the engaged 4WD system as was stated in a previous post?

Here is some info I found about the part-time and full-time systems, per Chrysler.

When the part-time four-wheel drive system is engaged, both front and rear driveshafts are locked by a chain and gearset and always turn at the same speed forming a single driving unit. This is a rigid connection that does not allow for any differential action between the front and rear axles. Normal front-to-rear differences in the turning radii of the tires are only compensated for through wheel slippage over adverse driving surfaces.

The full-time transfer case is optional. With this transfer case, four-wheel drive can be
utilized for all driving conditions. A planetary differential between the front and rear axles to
turn at different speeds as when cornering while dividing torque equally between them.

Essentially, the part-time system offers better gas mileage but requires shifting into 4-wheel
drive when needed. The full-time system is always on and can be applied to all conditions. The full-time system has a position where the differential can be locked, in 4H and 4L, for the ultimate in 4-wheel drive. This gives you the convenience of 4-wheel drive at all times and the ability to lock the center differential for adverse conditions.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Johnzer

According to Chrysler the AWD gets 1mpg more than the part time 4wd, due to a more efficent design , from what I understand its the cad that is the gas hog for the part time 4wd.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:36 PM
mighty4

anyways, already found my answer i just need the 243 transfer case, the pcms are the same checked it out through dodge, and i might need wiring but the connectors appear to look the same so my awd button may work just woulndt be awd anymore, if not then no biggie i jsut get the wirirng harness out of a part time 4wd truck.

thanks for all the help!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 PM
mighty4

as well the only reason iw ant to get rid of awd is because i am not liking the front wheels being driven all the time, i have super swamper tires and i am pretty sure its rough on the front differential turning them al the time with the grip they have! i jsut threw out my front differential last week actually and between thata nd driving in a buddie truck with the aprt time 4wd i loved it much better it jsut felt like it had more power. So thanks guys i will be picking up a 243 transfer case here soon and see how it goes from there!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 PM
DodgeAdvisor

The NV243 is an electronically controlled part-time transfer case with a low range gear reduction system. The NV243 has three operating ranges plus a NEUTRAL position. The low range system provides a gear reduction ratio for increased low speed torque capability.The NV246 is an electronically controlled active full-time transfer case. A wet clutch in the transfer case is used to control torque transfer to the front and rear axles. A low range gear reduction system provides increased low speed torque capability for off road operation. The low range provides a 2.72:1 reduction ratio.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM
sk425k
Professional

A awd t-case someting like a differential in it and it is also probably heavily more computer controled, also the awd would still be a 3 wheel drive if stuck in mud or snow and axle ration have to be the same front and rear or you will kill your t-case..