3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting leveling lift for a 08 4x4 1500 any personal expericences? and nerf bars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammer I had the shake before i just thought that it was from me driving this thing like a race car.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
killerbud420
Veteran

I got some nerf bars il put on ebay for 60 bucks look new..they came off a r/c tho if anybody wants them holla llla la hollla la holla at ya boy

Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion

no shudders or shakes on mine. i think people need to calm the hell down tho. IDK if any of you work on cars for a living or have any clue what it takes but to diagnose a front end shudder and determine what exact component it is takes time and to be honest sometimes it has to get worse for it to get better.

example. my 97 jeep tj wrangler had a slight tick in the front end when going around turns and such. would look into it whenever i could and could never find anything of worry. over time maybe a month or two the ticking got worse and worse. sooner or later was able to tell that the drivers side wheel bearing and hub had worn out and was loose. replaced and problems gone. just remember guys the dealerships arn't not trying to fix your truck neither is chrysler give them a chance before condeming them.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i wish i could see the shimmy or feel it formsyelf to see how bad it really is. maybe mine does shimmy and i just feel as if its ok and normal because its a truck and i dont expect a truck to drive like a small sports car haha. no being condisending here just dont understand the shimmy thats all. if anyone can explain this in any way as to exactly what they feel or see would be great. i feel every bump in the road as is because with the 20s on 33 inch tires theres no tmuch sidewall, its not a lowpro tire but theres still not much room for flex either so maybe thats it i dont know........... im stumped

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Blderman

Originally Posted by Ben D.
no shudders or shakes on mine. i think people need to calm the hell down tho. IDK if any of you work on cars for a living or have any clue what it takes but to diagnose a front end shudder and determine what exact component it is takes time and to be honest sometimes it has to get worse for it to get better.

example. my 97 jeep tj wrangler had a slight tick in the front end when going around turns and such. would look into it whenever i could and could never find anything of worry. over time maybe a month or two the ticking got worse and worse. sooner or later was able to tell that the drivers side wheel bearing and hub had worn out and was loose. replaced and problems gone. just remember guys the dealerships arn't not trying to fix your truck neither is chrysler give them a chance before condeming them.

With all due respect I don't think this is something to be calm about or take lightly. I just paid 24,000 for a truck that shakes like it's on a cobblestone road. The reason I am so upset is that Dodge is claiming there is nothing wrong with the vehicles.....that's bullcrap. I build commercial structures for a living. If I turned a building over to an owner and the roof leaked during every heavy rainstorm and all I told him was "it's normal, I can't fix that" I would be in court the next day and the judge would slap every applicable penalty on me. Is this case Dodge sells trucks knowing there is a problem and gets away with it. If I didn't love my last Dodge so much I would be buying a different brand, but I know how good the 2500 trucks are so I will hopefully be behind the wheel of one again soon. My .02

J

Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Ben D.
Champion

two totally different scenarios right there bud. a roof leak is nothing like just a shudder in a vehicles front end. that's something that is hard to find and can take time. it's like trying to find an needle in a friggin haystack. i'm just sick and tired of people complaining like a vehicle should never break and that every time something makes some sorta weird glitch that someone should be able to tell you exaclty what's wrong, why it went wrong, and how to fix it. it doesn't happen that way bro. they don't call it troubleshooting without a reason.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 AM
txj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ben D.
two totally different scenarios right there bud. a roof leak is nothing like just a shudder in a vehicles front end. that's something that is hard to find and can take time. it's like trying to find an needle in a friggin haystack. i'm just sick and tired of people complaining like a vehicle should never break and that every time something makes some sorta weird glitch that someone should be able to tell you exaclty what's wrong, why it went wrong, and how to fix it. it doesn't happen that way bro. they don't call it troubleshooting without a reason.

wanna trade trucks for a while... oh wait, i can't IT'S ALWAYS AT THE DEALER these days.

It took two times in for them just to acknowledge that there even was a shudder in 4x4 hi... my 4 year old nephew noticed it the first time riding in the truck.

The 1st step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. The next step is finding the root cause of the problem. Saying the problem does not exist or is "a normal operating condition for the 1500" because you cannot find the problem is not acceptable.

Last edited by txj; 12-03-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

hey txj how many miles on that truck??? reason i ask is because while reading another shimmy thread i realized something. i had a shimmy when i had the stock tires and began at about 10k miles. they had flat spots in them due to not rotating them often and had an annoying vibration and sound as well as a shimmy when stopping at highway speeds. i dont know if this is the same problem you guys speak of but as soon as i got new tires it didnt do it anymore. those stock goodyears are junk and need to be rotated just about every oil change. i dealt with that annoying vibration for 30k miles and as soon as the new tires wer on problem fixed. it may be a different feeling. take a good look at your tires and see if there are any flat spots on the treads ( some tread higher than other treads)

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

Yeah compareing a 40 thousand truck to a 97 jeep ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO SHAKE PERIOD

Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know if there is a growing quality control problem at Chrysler or what, but it seems to me that starting with the '07s there are A LOT of posts about the more annoying type issues than we have been used to seeing with the earlier 3rd gens.
I mean we always had the common "C-Clip", Door Seal & Rear Seal issues that ran across basically the entire line of 1500s, but there just seems to be a never ending stream of people with rattling, shimmying, vibrating, leaking, electrical, etc. issues since the '07s hit the market. Is it me or are you guys seeing this trend as well?

Quick Reply: getting leveling lift for a 08 4x4 1500 any personal expericences? and nerf bars?