3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converters truth or myth

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:12 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As a rule, the advertised "stall speed" is the flash stall rpm. This means in gear, at an idle, with your foot off of the brake and you floor it, it will flash up to the advertised RPM.
When brake torquing, the stall speed will be a bit lower lower.
A 3000rpm stall may flash up to 3000rpm, but may only brake torque @ 2500rpm.
Since the Hemi makes almost 90% of it's 375lb/ft of torque @1200rpm, a higher stall is not recommended for towing applications. It will just build more heat.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
As a rule, the advertised "stall speed" is the flash stall rpm. This means in gear, at an idle, with your foot off of the brake and you floor it, it will flash up to the advertised RPM.
When brake torquing, the stall speed will be a bit lower lower.
A 3000rpm stall may flash up to 3000rpm, but may only brake torque @ 2500rpm.
Since the Hemi makes almost 90% of it's 375lb/ft of torque @1200rpm, a higher stall is not recommended for towing applications. It will just build more heat.
No it doesn't...even the new hemi with the active intake manifold only makes 180 something lbs at 1200. According to dodge the 4.7 has a much flatter curve and about 250lbs at 1200...hell even the 6'er has more tq at 1200.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/ram_150...ty/powertrain/

Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

I wanted to "revamp" this thread because its been three years and I was wondering if anyone had any good info on HP ratings after a new TC install? (aftermarket of course) Is it worth getting a different TC with say a 2500 stall and not doing any towing of any kind, except my gf's a$$? any dyno sheets?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

There was a noticeable increase in power after I got my 2800 stall installed. The stock converter is something like a 2300 stall but the converter itself is crap for performance and has a pretty bad parasitic loss to it. So even if you were to get a better converter with the same stall as stock you will still be taking advantage of the decrease in parasitic loss. With that said before you start thinking about the TC you need to really look into what mods you are wanting to do and what you use your truck for. If say you go for a bigger cam and heads that moves your peak tq/hp higher into the powerband you are going to want the stall of the converter to reflect that as well otherwise your truck is going to drive like crap dowwn low, but you also dont want to go to high or the TCM wont like it and the truck wont be very street friendly either. If you do tow then you need to find a converter specifically made for towing applications (I believe pro-torque makes a towing converter). Best thing you can do is call one of the converter companies, telll them what your plans are, what you have and are planning on doing to your truck, what you use your truck for and have them give you a reccomendation.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an Edge 2600 stall. great power increase. off the line is amazing. i still tow regularly. personally, i think if you are going to tow, you dont NEED a towing converter, just dont go any higher than 2600 or so. and make sure you put extra efforts into tranny cooling.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Awesome, great input. I do plan (later on down the road) getting into the 260 cam and p/p heads so i think that if I went with that Edge 2600, I would be sitting pretty good. I have a Short cab 2wd and just want to focus on more of a "race"(still keep the street driveability reasonable) application but dont wanna sacrifice torque at the same time.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmeezie
Awesome, great input. I do plan (later on down the road) getting into the 260 cam and p/p heads so i think that if I went with that Edge 2600, I would be sitting pretty good. I have a Short cab 2wd and just want to focus on more of a "race"(still keep the street driveability reasonable) application but dont wanna sacrifice torque at the same time.
sounds like you got yourself a solid plan. put gears up on the top of your list, and you will REALLY get that truck moving.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schmeezie
Old thread, Ol Red is a RCSB and I have a 2800 Edge converter and DTT/4:10 gear. She is excellent on the street and highway. On the highway the converter is locked so it is all about the tire size and gear ratio. Didn't really see any difference in mileage but the truck is much more alive running up hills and pulling my small trailer. Town (street) wise the converter, gear combo is aggressive enough to allow you to jump away from traffic but the combo is also running the engine up a little higher so it is not subtle. The mileage in town becomes a trade off with the gear reducing load and the converter spinning higher. Plus you will not be able to keep from leaning on the cars taking off from the lights. I have 30-1/2" tires, if I was to do it again I would go with 4:56 gear. Good luck...

Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Sweet, I'll keep y'all updated

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Yep a 2800 would be perfectly streetable, can probably go up to 3000 if you want to and still be alright, thats where I am thinking about going. And combined with a 4.56 gear the performance is just sweet. If you have not done gears yet go with a 4.56 and make them the next thing you do.

Quick Reply: torque converters truth or myth