3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Muffler Swap and Y Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
DeanoBobino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, just do what I had done and cut the pipe after the O2 sensors and go true dual. Makes a beautiful sound with 2x2.5" in/out 29.5" length 3.5" diameter Cherry Bomb Glasspacks.

Name:  DSC02038.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  DSC02037.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  DSC02036-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.0 KB

Last edited by DeanoBobino; 12-07-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Duals definately have their place. But if you are interested in low end torque, then duals don't make the cut.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I still haven't looked at the Y on mine, but I am sure that it is the same as pictures. Looking at the exhaust on these cold morning, I can tell that the stock exhaust flows pretty good.
I do not plan on removing my stock y-pipe because that restriction at the y is just enough to create the proper backpressure for more torque. I do not drive at 5500rpm much, so I do not need a high flowing exhaust like I have on the Mustang.
I do tow about 7K at times and I need the torque over the HP. I will eventially install the Magnaflow cat-back because I like the sound and it is a stainless kit.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
which is better for our trucks a x or y pipe and the guy who did my last car cuts it off after the cats and takes 2 pipes straight back wouldnt this hurt the scavenging effect created by a x/y pipe
H-pipe for torque
X-pipe for higher rpm hp.

H sounds better too. Deeper tone.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

How much more tq would an aftermarket h-pipe produce versus an aftermarket y-pipe. I am working on turning my 4.7 into a tq monster.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by lxman1
I still haven't looked at the Y on mine, but I am sure that it is the same as pictures. Looking at the exhaust on these cold morning, I can tell that the stock exhaust flows pretty good.
I do not plan on removing my stock y-pipe because that restriction at the y is just enough to create the proper backpressure for more torque. I do not drive at 5500rpm much, so I do not need a high flowing exhaust like I have on the Mustang.
I do tow about 7K at times and I need the torque over the HP. I will eventially install the Magnaflow cat-back because I like the sound and it is a stainless kit.
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way... but you don't fully understand how your exhaust works.

The problem with the stock Y is that it puts more of a kink into the drivers side of the exhaust, then it does the passenger side. This creates uneven back pressure. Additionally, the drivers side is longer than the passenger side to start with, which creates even more uneven back pressure.

I tow a 25' cabin cruiser. So I understand torque and towing needs. While it's true that back pressure helps with torque. More is sometimes less. In this case, the poorly designed factory Y is "more". I saw and felt a significant difference when I changed my Y.

If you want to carry this to extremes... would you install a 1" exhaust to maximize torque? Of course not. The factory Y is simply a cost cutting measure, not a performance enhancing engineered design.

Quick Reply: Muffler Swap and Y Pipe