3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 AM
cbab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 Ram right headlight stopped working, as I removed the grille and started moving the headlight out of the housing the light came on?? I went ahead and replaced both bulbs and three weeks later the right headlight stopped working again, Does this sound like a short or what? I have no low or high beam on the right side now. I tried bumping the headlight with my palm and the light came on then went off after driving,

Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have a loose connection at the headlight plug on that side.

Remove the headlight pull the bulb out of the headlight housing and connect it to the plug on the truck.

Have a helper turn the headlight on and wiggle each wire... if it goes out when you mess with one of the wires that's the one you have a problem with.

Might be as simple as needing a new headlight plug...

Old 09-08-2014, 10:23 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cbab
My 2012 Ram right headlight stopped working, as I removed the grille and started moving the headlight out of the housing the light came on?? I went ahead and replaced both bulbs and three weeks later the right headlight stopped working again, Does this sound like a short or what? I have no low or high beam on the right side now. I tried bumping the headlight with my palm and the light came on then went off after driving,

Per review of the Service Manual, it could be the following:
-Ineffective ground circuit. Correction: Test and repair open headlamp ground circuit if required.
-Ineffective feed circuit. Correction: Test and repair open headlamp low beam or high beam feed circuit if required.
-Ineffective switch. Correction: Test and replace headlamp switch if required
-Ineffective TIPM inputs or outputs. Correction: Use a diagnostic scan tool to test the TIPM inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information

Hopefully this helps.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
axeman_87
Amateur

So if it is tipm, more than likely. Could I run a wire with a relay or fuse from passenger low beam to driver side low beam?
That will be a lot cheaper.
Just not sure of size or relay or fuses.
What does everyone think of that??

Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Izero
Champion

Just get the Wattage reading and do the power calculation to determine how much Current (amperage) will be draw by the headlights, and size your relay about 10A higher than your fuse, so that if the fuse ever blows you won't burn up the relay too.

Also, make sure you use a waterproof relay and relay holder, otherwise you'll short the relay and not have headlights.

Oh and you'll likely lose the ability to use the OEM headlight switch, so you'll need a switch inside the cab too.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 PM
axeman_87
Amateur

OK well I just went to dealer and got TIPM reflashed. Works for now. What can I do to protect it now? Relay or fuse inline to headlight?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Izero
Champion

just leave it be for now, if it stops working again check the plug at that headlight. (unless you did that already?)

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM
axeman_87
Amateur

Originally Posted by Izero
just leave it be for now, if it stops working again check the plug at that headlight. (unless you did that already?)
I've already changed that headlight plugin, its nicely soldered n shirnk tubed in..

Old 10-27-2014, 04:39 PM
AHB36

I have an 07 2500. Same no low beams (either side) I tried new bulbs. I am very frustrated that a glorified fuse panel can screw up things so frequently.

I did a redneck fix. I cut the low beam wires near the headlight assemblies. Installed a relay, that is triggered from the park lights. There....Low beams and high beams work. No issues since doing this (about 6 months back). Daytime running lights don't work. I hate dodge. If it wasn't for the 5.9l and the new transmission, and new rear differential...this truck would be sitting somewhere other than my driveway.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:59 PM
dhawke
Default copied and pasted

Hey just to let every one know i have copied and pasted all 11 pages of this forum and sent to dodge Canada on there facebook page i suggest you all do the same lets get there attention

The following users liked this post:
Last Dodge Ever (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: 06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?