3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck + Accident + Urgent Care + Lawsuit + Police + Arrest + Keys = ...no fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 AM
08Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah there's no question about doing a double check. It's like what minex said - you pay someone to do something and you don't always check every single thing they did. No, if some guy gives me an oil change I'm not going to climb back up under the truck and make sure the oil plan plug is screwed on tight. Then again, that's not exactly the same thing as hauling a possibly loose trailer. Guess I was in a bit of a rush and didn't think to make sure everything was on the up and up. Lesson learned.

As far as the dozens of you stating it's my fault, that's a matter of total opinion. When I called the guy who hooked up the trailer I didn't even mention a lawyer or a lawsuit - he took responsibility for it immediately and told me to file it under their insurance company. That'd be like you saying that after you buy your brand new Dodge you drive it off the lot and a brakeline is loose it's your fault when you hit the brakes and end up plowing into a poll. No, it's not. You wouldn't need a dip *@($! lawyer to tell you that. Why? Because it is Chrysler's responsibility to ensure that when you leave that lot your vehicle is in such a condition that it will not directly or indirectly cause an accident as a result of their oversight. It works the saaaaame with Uhaul.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

This isn't the same as an oil change. This is more liking picking up a gun and not checking to see if it's loaded before pulling the trigger. Then some guy like you would blame someone else for the consequences. You are responsible for your own safety.

Unfortunately, you're too caught up in the "sue someone" mentality. This is a personal responsibility issue. Plain and simple.

You didn't double check it and your truck got damaged. You didn't clear your work area and your girl got hurt. Stop making excuses and looking to shift the blame. You could have avoided all of this by simply checking.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
This isn't the same as an oil change. This is more liking picking up a gun and not checking to see if it's loaded before pulling the trigger. Then some guy like you would blame someone else for the consequences. You are responsible for your own safety.

Unfortunately, you're too caught up in the "sue someone" mentality. This is a personal responsibility issue. Plain and simple.

You didn't double check it and your truck got damaged. You didn't clear your work area and your girl got hurt. Stop making excuses and looking to shift the blame. You could have avoided all of this by simply checking.
No, it's not the same as the gun scenario. You're comparing apple to oranges. This is more like stealing someone's trailer and truck, then thinking they are responsible when it comes unhitched. Or at least that is closer to reality than the gun. Maybe if you hire someone to clean the gun for you, and it was unloaded from the start. But if it's loaded afterwards, and you didn't do it, you have no responsibility.
But you know what? I really hope that when your warranty expires, you have a major problem with your truck, that insurance won't pay for. Because it's your responsibility, why should they have to pay for it? Jesus, you need to learn to take responsibility for the fact of yourself damaging your vehicle. Oh yea, doesn't sound so nice now, does it?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I wouldn't describe it as nice or not nice. It sounded rambling and incoherent.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
No, it's not the same as the gun scenario. You're comparing apple to oranges. This is more like stealing someone's trailer and truck, then thinking they are responsible when it comes unhitched. Or at least that is closer to reality than the gun. Maybe if you hire someone to clean the gun for you, and it was unloaded from the start. But if it's loaded afterwards, and you didn't do it, you have no responsibility.
But you know what? I really hope that when your warranty expires, you have a major problem with your truck, that insurance won't pay for. Because it's your responsibility, why should they have to pay for it? Jesus, you need to learn to take responsibility for the fact of yourself damaging your vehicle. Oh yea, doesn't sound so nice now, does it?
The hell you don't...if you truly believe that then you have no business owning a firearm and I hope you don't.

The gun scenario seems to fit to me. Someone handing you your pistol and telling you it's unloaded (or your trailer is hooked up correctly in this case) is completely your responsibility to check and make sure it's safe. A lot of people just go through the motions when clearing a firearm (or hooking up a trailer)...and simply doing it out of order or just not paying attention can be deadly in both cases. And in both cases the court won't take the ignorance of "I didn't know it was loaded/not locked down" as an excuse if something happens.

So the point is if you're going to assume stuff...always assume the weapon is loaded and always assume the trailor isn't hooked up right until you have shown yourself otherwise.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 AM
08Ram

Look, I learned a valuable lesson that I'll take with me. That's what's important. You can throw dirt around all you want and that's fine - I'm sure all of my criticizers have never made a mistake like the one I did. Personally, I can't stand ******** who get into a bit of trouble and file lawsuits. I'm working on finishing my bachelor's in criminal justice and I can tell you that kind of stuff wrecks the system - judicially, legally, and financially. I do not in any way intend to sue Uhaul unless they don't intend to pay up. You can dice this any way you want - you can tell me it was my fault to your blue in the face. Thankfully, Larry (the guy who hooked it up) doesn't see it that way, the law doesn't see it that way, Uhaul's insurance company doesn't see it that way, and that means the damages to the truck get repaired with no cost to me. Does that make me feel better about not checking the hookup or what happened to Sarah's hand? Absolutely not...it just means that I don't have to pay the $673.00 to repair and I know what to do to avoid the hassle in the future.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Rubberfrog, take it easy man. First off, it wasnt his fault. If a new building is erected and you walk into it and it collapses, is it your fault? According to your mentality, it is your fault. Second, the trailer coming down on his girlfriends hand was an indirect result of the trailer not being hooked up properly. Uhaul employees fault. Yes, maybe he should have checked before he backed off the trailer and let it down, I give you that. But the guy at uhaul preps trucks and hooks trailers to trucks. That is the guys job. Simple, trailer comes off from normal use = Uhaul at fault. Now, if 08ram hooked it up himself, entirely his fault. Now the gun analogy was way off. And whats up with hoping that Rubberfrogs truck will break down?! Stop the damn bickering ladies.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by 08Ram
Look, I learned a valuable lesson that I'll take with me. That's what's important. You can throw dirt around all you want and that's fine - I'm sure all of my criticizers have never made a mistake like the one I did. Personally, I can't stand ******** who get into a bit of trouble and file lawsuits. I'm working on finishing my bachelor's in criminal justice and I can tell you that kind of stuff wrecks the system - judicially, legally, and financially. I do not in any way intend to sue Uhaul unless they don't intend to pay up. You can dice this any way you want - you can tell me it was my fault to your blue in the face. Thankfully, Larry (the guy who hooked it up) doesn't see it that way, the law doesn't see it that way, Uhaul's insurance company doesn't see it that way, and that means the damages to the truck get repaired with no cost to me. Does that make me feel better about not checking the hookup or what happened to Sarah's hand? Absolutely not...it just means that I don't have to pay the $673.00 to repair and I know what to do to avoid the hassle in the future.

That's pretty much all there is to it.
For all of our "conflict," you and I are pretty much in agreement. I agree that the uhaul guy should have hooked it up properly. I said that early on! For some reason every one chooses to ignore that? My point, which we both agree on, is that is always wise to double check it and clear the work area. For some reason everyone keeps pulling individual sentences out of my posts and using them to misrepresent what I said.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
Pirata are those 18" Mickey rims?
17" Classic lock Mickey.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Jordan5.7
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.

I am in the rental business and think that it is crazy the way people take no responsablity these days.

I have rented car haulers from 3 different u-hauls on several occasions and never had anyone come outside and try to hook up the trailer or even inspect it for that matter. Maybe things are done differently around here. I do agree that if they hooked up they need to pay up for the damages.

It is 100% your fault that the trailer hit your gf in the hand. Really...what were you thinking? I think that you got lucky in the situation that things were not entirely worse. I Am not trying to bust your ***** or make you feel bad but people need to own up and think about what they are doing and how it can effect other people.

Hope your g/f is feeling better.

Quick Reply: New Truck + Accident + Urgent Care + Lawsuit + Police + Arrest + Keys = ...no fun