3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck + Accident + Urgent Care + Lawsuit + Police + Arrest + Keys = ...no fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:47 PM
a4twenty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't believe this ones still kicking around

Originally Posted by 08Ram
the law doesn't see it that way
incorrect, the driver is 100% responsible for the safety of the trailer if you don't believe us call the DOT and ask. the fact that they're paying to fix the truck is great for you but doesn't change law.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't read all 6 pages of feces flinging... my only question is; Is it REQUIRED by U-Haul that THEY be the ones to hook up your trailer? Was it part of your fee for the rental? If it is, then they are taking legal responsibility. If not, then you got lucky. I'm sorry your girl got hurt, and I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. I'm REALLY sorry about the luck you seem to have had with your brand new truck. However, it is ALWAYS the vehicle operator's responsibility to make sure his vehicle is in a safe and serviceable condition. This isn't maintenance that you paid someone else to perform and they took the responsibility of performing properly (IE the brake line or oil pan scenarios mentioned earlier).

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
08Ram

To answer Chet's question I got the hint from Uhaul that I was not allowed to hook up the trailer myself - that doesn't mean I couldn't check it, but I think it's a liability for me to hook up their trailer on their lot to my truck. Once I drive off it's on me for hookup issues, but the initial hookup is apparently their baby. Again, that says nothing to being cautious and checking, it just says that if you try to hook up their trailer without one of their guys they'll climb down your throat. This also doesn't mean you let the guy do it...they'll just try to stop you

Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with U-haul. Hope there's no permanent girlfriend damage. Good luck.

Rick

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 PM
wshtb
Amateur

This summer I went to Uhaul with a mid-size sedan and talked them into giving me the biggest trailer (13x10). After processing the payment, they told me where to find the trailer and off I go to hook up a trailer for the first time in my life. After I get the trailer hooked up and towed to the front, the guy came out to do a final inspection. He re-arranged the chains a little bit so they no longer drag on the ground, and made sure the hitch is tight. That's all he did.

In the next 5 days, I did a cross country trip in a 3300lbs car towing a 3000lbs trailer. Looking back, I could have died several times along the way. The most scary part is that nobody told me that the trailer will become unstable above 65mph. Being used to blasting down the freeway at 90+mph, it took me at least a dozen violent shakedown to realize that I better slow down or die...

Moral of the story is that we can't really rely on anyone to be responsible for ourselves.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

This summer I went to Uhaul with a mid-size sedan and talked them into giving me the biggest trailer (13x10). After processing the payment, they told me where to find the trailer and off I go to hook up a trailer for the first time in my life. After I get the trailer hooked up and towed to the front, the guy came out to do a final inspection. He re-arranged the chains a little bit so they no longer drag on the ground, and made sure the hitch is tight. That's all he did.
In the next 5 days, I did a cross country trip in a 3300lbs car towing a 3000lbs trailer. Looking back, I could have died several times along the way. The most scary part is that nobody told me that the trailer will become unstable above 65mph. Being used to blasting down the freeway at 90+mph, it took me at least a dozen violent shakedown to realize that I better slow down or die...
Moral of the story is that we can't really rely on anyone to be responsible for ourselves
are u serious they didn't tell u that because they figure no one would be that silly plus the speed limits 65 wow thats all i have to say

Last edited by Grey-Ghost; 12-14-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:54 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The main thing is that the GF is going to be ok, and the OP learned a valuable lesson. There is no need for name calling and arguing about the situation. What's done is done and lessons were learned.

I'm glad I own my own trailer. I always double check everything, even tire pressure on truck and trailer, before towing. I also use a weight distributing hitch assembly.

Most any U-Haul trailer have stickers on them that say speed limit 45mph.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:45 AM
topcop38
Professional

this has reminded me of a couple of friends years ago. keep in mind that we all raced and were all experienced with pulling trailers. 'chris' had a chevy monza on his trailer in his driveway (no motor or trans). he needed it moved a few feet from where it was and the car was not tied down. he had nothing at the time to pull it with so he called our friend 'andy' tp move it. andy shows up with his new truck and sets the trailer on his ball but for some reason didn't feel he needed to latch the coupler as he was only moving it a few feet. as soon as he pulls forward the car rolls back off the trailer and into his brick garage smashing the rear of the car. as this happens the trailer shoots forward into andys tailgate. i wish i would've been there to see this idiotic display but we gave them both a hard time for quite awhile over this.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 AM
meridian
Professional

First let me start off with I hope you all the best and a speedy recovery for your girlfriends hand!

OMG! I have now lived in the US for nearly four years and still CANNOT believe the mentality here regarding this lawsuit bulls**t!! When the hell are you going to take responsability for your own actions? It's always someone elses fault, never your own! Ok, so UHAUL has to connect your hitch for you, do to company policy and also because 99% of the human race are dicks according to their mentality but for God sake's check their work!! As many of them are part of the 99% morons! If you don't know what you are doing check it out on Google!!!!! Learn before you do anything and DO NOT rely on other people to do the work for you! Everyone here seems to be spoon fed with everything! My God! I have to paint a big red line on a raised curb stone outside my house so no one trips over it and takes my house away from me due to a lawsuit!!!!! How F***ed up is that!!!! Man if I tripped over a curb stone, 1st I would laugh at myself for being a dick and two I would be too embarrased to sue anyone! Nobody here is prepared to do anything without instructions, Look at how many road signs there are out on the roads! You have more road signs per 100ft then anywhere else in the world that I have driven! You need instructions for everything! No wonder you are the worst drivers I have ever witnessed! All these road signs stop you from thinking for yourselves! (OH S**T! A car has just pulled out in front of me! Damn where's that road sign to tell me what to do?!?!?!?) By the way this is science fact as there has been studies regarding too many road signes dumbing down drivers! As for the not so smart driver here wondering why his trailer is 'S' steering while he is doing 65mph!! DUDE YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE A LISENCE! Come on everybody here speeds a bit, who cares as long as your careful, experienced, it's not in built up areas and or near schools etc. but NOT WITH A DAMN TRAILER ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE! And if it all goes wrong be a man and admit it's your fault!

Last edited by meridian; 12-14-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: New Truck + Accident + Urgent Care + Lawsuit + Police + Arrest + Keys = ...no fun