3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to lift and add 38's

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with going with a diesel 3500 but that is not an option at this point in time. Dodge Nitto has been running 37x13.5x20 nitto grapplers for 50k+ miles and has not had a problem. My tire would be the same with as his, but just one inch taller; however, I will be going with 17'' rims which would weigh less than his set up with the 37's. So if he can do it with 20'' rims and a good bit of off roading, then I should be ok. And if I was doing 35's I wouldn't do anything bigger than a 4'' suspension lift because I love the look of a maxed out wheel well. The 6'' makes the 35's look inferior.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
stupid_rope
Rookie

The 6" does not make the 35's look inferior. If I were in America I could post some pictures of my old truck...maybe when I get home in March. Have you ever driven an IFS truck with 35" or greater tires? I was in the process of building a sort of steering stabilizer for mine but then I sold it.

Good luck with the 38's. Remember that OEM parts were designed with certain weight and stress levels. Increasing hp/tq, tire size, and changing your gears is great until your steering box, linkage, U-joints, ball joints, brakes, bushings, bearings, halfshafts, etc start to go bad. Then what you have is what we've all seen at a truck stop or gas station somewhere: a pickup truck with tires that are too big and sounds like s h i t when it makes a turn.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it. It would look sick as hell.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

chris, those 33's in your sig pic are making me rethink my tire choice, i was talked into 35's with my new reverse leveling, but the tires in your sig look pretty damn good and able to go through alot. Would you go bigger if you had to do it all over again?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I say go for it! You only live once! And if it breaks, then fix it! I bought my tires and wheels before I lifted my truck and I was willing to trim what ever I had to to get them to fit! As long as you have an angle grinder and a cutting wheel for it then they will fit just fine! I have done quite a bit of off roading and have had no problems (knock on wood) but if it breaks I will fix it and try it again!

If you do 38" tires I would go with 4:88 gears! I am borderline with my 4:56's and if I went to 38's I would have got 4:88

Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

4.88s thats a tall gear. but i believe thats what youd need to turn those big *** tires....
good luck Weightlifter...... keep us updated on your build.... i will start lifting modding exterior once i can get more power out of my 4.7l.... hard trying to mod and save for a wedding, but ive managed to sneak a few grand out over the last month for my programmer, tires and leveling kit though haha.. she didnt even notice until i got caught updating the sc on the laptop haha... i can deal with being in the doghouse for a few days as long as my truck looks good and is a little faster..... next mod for me is the E-Fan and fastmans throttle body hopefully in january.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by nickahern1
4.88s thats a tall gear. but i believe thats what youd need to turn those big *** tires....
good luck Weightlifter...... keep us updated on your build.... i will start lifting modding exterior once i can get more power out of my 4.7l.... hard trying to mod and save for a wedding, but ive managed to sneak a few grand out over the last month for my programmer, tires and leveling kit though haha.. she didnt even notice until i got caught updating the sc on the laptop haha... i can deal with being in the doghouse for a few days as long as my truck looks good and is a little faster..... next mod for me is the E-Fan and fastmans throttle body hopefully in january.
I got lucky with the fiance... She likes the idea off the large tires and extreme power. We saw a ram 1500 with 39.5x15x16 super swampers on it with air horns and it looked intense. The fiance likes when I play around in the truck. Here in chicago it was really icy today and the parking lot at the bowling alley was snowed over so I did some donughts and when we went inside she wanted to do more and so I did on the way out. And she loves when I slide the truck around or have the occasional burn out to put a rice burner in their spot. But she said I just ask one thing of you and that is to add nerf bars so that I can get in. LOL!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgenitto
I say go for it! You only live once! And if it breaks, then fix it! I bought my tires and wheels before I lifted my truck and I was willing to trim what ever I had to to get them to fit! As long as you have an angle grinder and a cutting wheel for it then they will fit just fine! I have done quite a bit of off roading and have had no problems (knock on wood) but if it breaks I will fix it and try it again!

If you do 38" tires I would go with 4:88 gears! I am borderline with my 4:56's and if I went to 38's I would have got 4:88
Nick do you think that the 38x14.5's would fit with the 4'' lift and 3'' body lift? And the 4.88's do not fit our trucks I thought. I think that only the 2wd's can fit the 4.88's on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
The 6" does not make the 35's look inferior. If I were in America I could post some pictures of my old truck...maybe when I get home in March. Have you ever driven an IFS truck with 35" or greater tires? I was in the process of building a sort of steering stabilizer for mine but then I sold it.

Good luck with the 38's. Remember that OEM parts were designed with certain weight and stress levels. Increasing hp/tq, tire size, and changing your gears is great until your steering box, linkage, U-joints, ball joints, brakes, bushings, bearings, halfshafts, etc start to go bad. Then what you have is what we've all seen at a truck stop or gas station somewhere: a pickup truck with tires that are too big and sounds like s h i t when it makes a turn.
And if you had a chevy the 6'' would be required to to run 35x12.5's; however, on these new rams the 6'' makes the 35's look small because alot of wheel well shows. I love the look of a totally stuffed wheel well, especially with a big MT, because it just looks AWESOME. I think that many will agree with me.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

you should be able to fit those monsters under a 3 inch bl and 4 inch sl. only think i see being a problem is the width. with some wheel adapters to push them out and some cutting you should be able to pull it off.. i dont know about the 4.88s i never looked into anything taller than the 4.56s for my needs. I almost just ordered 35x12.5 toyo OC mt's last night haha. i just want something more aggressive than my toyo oc at's... im addicted to my truck. we should have a truck modding annoymous here....

Quick Reply: Looking to lift and add 38's