3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Super 44 concern..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Jordan5.7
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that some of the confuion on here is that the exhaust pipe is actually a tiny bit smaller than 3". I was actually surprised that a 3" clamp was able to seal it. How many of you guys actually put your exhaust on yourself? The pipe is acually closer to 2 7/8's od. It is not 2.5" but not quite 3" either. I have a super 40 series on mine 3"in & dual 2.5" out dumped. I love the way it sounds but it is definataly entirely too droney for most.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 PM
MOPAR78
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome JoeHemi.. Sounds like it all worked out.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Jordan5.7
How many of you guys actually put your exhaust on yourself?
I put mine on myself and the pipe going into the muffler was 3" OD.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
kwpatriot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I actually ordered a 3" pipe from summit and welded it directly to the stock pipe and it matched perfectly. You might need a new tape measure.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

I posted this once in a reply to a guys thread wanting to hear the sound clips but I thought I'd finish up this thread by saying thanks to everybody that chipped in and persuaded me into getting the correct muffler.
Well, I got the work done today. The muffler guy cut off the old stock muffler and removed everything behind the muffler. He then installed the Flowmaster 40 as far back as he could and then custom fit an exhaust pipe to replace the area where the resonator was and the tail pipe came out in the same location, just I have a new shiny tailpipe. Defiantly not as loud in the cab as I had hoped...maybe I was expecting more? Sounds nice though, huge improvement to the "minivan" sound I had before. I defiantly recommend an exhaust upgrade, even as simple as just a muffler swap, is worth the money.

I tried to get some sound clips up....they didn't turn out the best as I had to use my Macbook Pro to record the sound but take them as you will. All were recorded in parked position outside.

exhaust1.mp3 - 0.29MB

exhaust2.mp3 - 0.23MB

exhaust3.mp3 - 0.20MB

Movie 3.mov - 10.22MB

(this was filmed with my iSight on my laptop because the mic on my camcorder was broken...a little distortion and what not but came out alright I guess. This is just the view from the tailpipe)

When it's light out, I'll take some pictures from underneath. Now I need to decide if I wanna get a tip or not. Guess I should look around.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Super 44 concern..