3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did the rear diff just go out? Whats it do and sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link to Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoJoojv-cM
listen for the metallic clinking sound

anyone know how to embed this so it shows up?
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYoJoojv-cM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYoJoojv-cM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Last edited by SmokeySportRam; 12-31-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain
Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm... that is a wierd noise.....

and I was talking about twisting play in the drive shaft.

but I had a c-clip come out on my 99 dak, musta been like that for a while, cause it wore right into the casing and messed it all up. that was a 1k fix, I'll never go to that shop again. I got my auburn posi for the ram for only $500 installed. but I would definatly pull the cover off and take a look at it.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Before you do anything i'd look under the entire truck for any kind of loose metal...like a busted exhaust hanger or whatnot.

Bearings make more of a growl/howl sound so that's out. I can't tell where it's coming from in the vid, but if you think it's coming from the rear pumpkin then pull the cover.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 AM
abarmby
Champion

Ooh yes............that does sound like metal.
Unfortunately, when my clips on my 03 went out, there was no physical evidence of it happening whatsoever.
It was only when I pulled the Pumpkin cover off and received my "pumpkin surprise", with the remnants of two clips stuck to the magnet, did I know that I had a problem.
I also checked and found that the other two clips were just starting to "walk" there way out of their pockets as the little W at the end of the clips had snapped off. This is what is usually found stuck on the magnets.
I pulled the lot out and ran like that for 20K+ miles with no real ill effects.
I then had a Detroit TruTrac installed and have never looked back.
Does your truck have the stock LAD installed?
If not, you don't have to worry about this clutch pack retaining clip issue.
If you have a stock LSD, you will need to pull your Pumpkin cover and inspect the diff.
Hope all this helps bud?
AL.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

LAD? havent hear of it yet, I thought all the '02-'05 ram 1500 had LSDs

What exactly is my diff? what is the number of the detroit locker for it?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Loosestar

The first thing I'd check, is for problems with the parking brake shoes. The sound seems much too loud for the differential. If you have four wheel disc brakes, the parking brakes should be basically a set of small drum brakes in the center of your rear discs. It's called "drum in hat" or some such thing. I've seen them actually come apart and make very similar noises. (loose metal pieces trapped in the drum is not a good thing.) If that is the problem (and I certainly hope it is), it's a inexpensive and easy fix. Good Luck (and Happy New Year)

Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

thats what im wondering, cause the truck moves back and forth ok, but the noise sounds like something rolling around or dragging in the LR wheel.

Im thinking I will just have it flatbedded to work and I will go in on saturday when I have all day to myself to work on it, pull off the wheel and the rear end cover and look things over and figure out what is going on.

Still open to more opinions about what they think it is.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Loosestar
The first thing I'd check, is for problems with the parking brake shoes. The sound seems much too loud for the differential. If you have four wheel disc brakes, the parking brakes should be basically a set of small drum brakes in the center of your rear discs. It's called "drum in hat" or some such thing. I've seen them actually come apart and make very similar noises. (loose metal pieces trapped in the drum is not a good thing.) If that is the problem (and I certainly hope it is), it's a inexpensive and easy fix. Good Luck (and Happy New Year)
Good advice

Quick Reply: Did the rear diff just go out? Whats it do and sound like?