3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

chip damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip damage?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about going with the Predator chip after reading through the forums. I'm just looking for something adjust my tire size, get some extra milage and/or a little extra pop. I don't plan on getting a CAI, just a K&N drop in, and perhaps one day a cat back exhaust.

On my other trucks (which were diesel jobs) I ran CAI + straight pipes along with a bully dog chip. I can say the CAI's made some difference, but probably not worth as much as I spent on them (one was a volant on my chevy, the other was AFE on my dodge).

That said, with a chipped up diesel, you get huge gains. Thus, I was always doing work on my trucks (U-joints, tranny coolant lines etc). I think my tranny was about to go on my dodge just before I sold it.

My question is, will I be doing some damage to my hemi with just the diablo as I did with my other 2 trucks? I'm sure adding power isn't the greatest for stock parts, however the setup I'm looking for isn't near as strung out as the setup i had on my chevy, so it might not be a big deal?

Cheers and happy new years!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

No, gasser don't get any where near the gains from a tune as diesels do. So the driveline shock and wear will be a lot less.

As for a CAI...there's a lot cheaper routes to go instead of getting a overpriced name brand. Ebay has cheap kits but I personally wouldn't use the filter it comes with. I bought a airaid MIT that gets rid of the baffle also but uses the stock airbox...it was around $110.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

thanks very much, that's what I was thinking.

with a new kid and less disposable income (i used to work on the rigs as a directional hand, and had too much money thus spent it on a strung out truck ) i need to be more conservative.

do you have some pics of your setup? i'm new to the forum so i apologize if there was an obvious link. also do you think the drop in is a waste?

cheers

Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
No, gasser don't get any where near the gains from a tune as diesels do. So the driveline shock and wear will be a lot less.

As for a CAI...there's a lot cheaper routes to go instead of getting a overpriced name brand. Ebay has cheap kits but I personally wouldn't use the filter it comes with. I bought a airaid MIT that gets rid of the baffle also but uses the stock airbox...it was around $110.
Agreed. You are not going to make the kind of power needed to break parts with just a tuner on the gas engine.

You can always get a name brand intake off eBay too. My Airaid came from eBay for around $50.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
My Airaid came from eBay for around $50.
what part did you get for 50$? was it used? I've been looking on ebay for used parts (chips, air intakes) and came up with blanks so far.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Agreed. You are not going to make the kind of power needed to break parts with just a tuner on the gas engine.

You can always get a name brand intake off eBay too. My Airaid came from eBay for around $50.
You bastard

Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the full CAI, the one with the tube and heatshield, not sure what the part number is. I thought it was a pretty good deal

Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

thats a smokin deal! i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for stuff on ebay.

Quick Reply: chip damage?