3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory tint and police problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
ried69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's bad is that when they put their thing up to the light to measure light intensity (maybe more so for vehicles with aftermarket tint), they make sure to pull light in the darkest area, if they are able to find some shade, then it shows less light intensity. I know my brother got in trouble for his tint, after having been pulled over for his second time. He had I believe 20%, and the cop read it at around 12.5%, so that was illegal. His choices were to take it off, or pay a $90 fee.
What it amounts to is that the cops make money off of tickets, and the worst police are the ones hanging out around bars, state troopers, or cops that notice you from out of state/town.
Some advice for tickets, so long as it's from a state-trooper, and you can get an agreeing lawyer. You go to court, and then your lawyer says that you can't make it, and has to reschedule. Well, the state trooper can't hang around town forever, and will eventually have to leave. The one time he doesn't show up, the cases are dismissed. Most of your big cities have that, he said many shops have ads for those lawyer, but that was in Dallas.
But definitely tell your friend to fight it, it's not his fault that his truck has the tint, and something like that shouldn't be the deciding factor for purchasing a vehicle.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The factory couldn't put it on there is it wasn't legal in all states. It is only the front doors and windshield that they can regulate as long as you have outside mirrors.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ried69
What it amounts to is that the cops make money off of tickets, ...
That is crap and most people here should know that.

And in no state can you paint your rear SIDE windows. You can black out your rear window (behind the seats) but you have to allow a certain amount of light through the passenger side windows. In Montana (where we have it easy compared to most states), the front windows can be 24% and rear passenger can be 14%.

Last edited by we_the_unforgiven; 01-11-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by we_the_unforgiven
That is crap and most people here should know that.
So you mean if the cops in your town would stop writing tickets altogether, you really think they would be able to afford to drive around all the time and keep all the cops out on duty? No, the tickets are used to fund their program. In other words, they make money off of tickets. The cops have to be paid somehow, fairy dust isn't the currency here in the real world.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

Originally Posted by ried69
So you mean if the cops in your town would stop writing tickets altogether, you really think they would be able to afford to drive around all the time and keep all the cops out on duty? No, the tickets are used to fund their program. In other words, they make money off of tickets. The cops have to be paid somehow, fairy dust isn't the currency here in the real world.
Evidently you don't pay any taxes.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by we_the_unforgiven
Evidently you don't pay any taxes.
they have speeding cameras all over our county. at the start of this year they put up 11 more. our county is in a major defecit the police dont even have to pull you over (cant afford to hire new police, now you just get a ticket in the mail)

Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
ScottyB28
Rookie

On my 09 Ram, the back windows are 20% but it's not a tint you can pull off. The glass is actually colored so theres is nothing I could do but change the whole window.

There's no law on back windows though, they can be as dark as they want.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Yeah, I've been reading up on Va law and wow what a bunch of **** ******. I can forget about smoking out my headlights or taillights. Only 50% tint allowed on the front side windows. All offroad lights must have covers on them while operating the vehicle on a road. Not allowed to have any interior lights brighter than 15 candlelight. Neon lights are illegal without covers. On and on and on

Plus side, I didn't find anything about it being illegal for your tires to stick out from the body. I know some states have those laws.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Twink
Veteran

im running 20% all around including my front windows ive been through road blocks and everything and havent even been warned for them.. i guess some cops are different but EITHER WAY rear windows are allowed to be tinted regardless of your state law, hence why the factory does it. The dealer could not legally SELL a vehicle with rear tint because its against policy to sell anything off a corporation lot with safety or things like windows being illegal. Least thats how it is up here in vancouver.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

Wow I'm going to read up on the Ohio Laws right now. It's a good thing that I haven't done some illegal mods let.

Quick Reply: Factory tint and police problems