3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo or superchips???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
SilsHemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Very true. I personally don't have MDS but I have heard a lot of guys talk about MDS disable as being a big selling point for a tuner.
Disabling MDS woke up my 2008. My gas mileage improved as well. I'm so glad it's gone.

Sil

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i finally got a SC. at moes. cant wait till it gets here

Last edited by SilverBullet08; 02-04-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Sil, do you happen to know what the most current database numbers are? I just updated my tuner and got v1.29 236. I thought I read earlier today that someone downloaded and got v1.30.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
MSD Adam

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Oh yea forgot about that...I got mine during the christmas sale and it came with everything.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but does anyone else find it odd that Superchips is just now getting their tunes on par to where they should have been? I mean how many years was the SC out for the hemi ram and they're just now disabling MDS, independent tire/gear size and adding TCM support? Of course it just so happens to be after the diablo launch...hmmmm. It's either one hell of an coincidence that they just so happened to figure out how to do all that...or they bought a predator and examined the tunes. Yea that's right I said it . So either SC's R&D support/willingness to make their product better is lacking or they're standing on the back of other companies. I'm sure my opinion differs from you SC owners . It'll be interesting to see who comes out with part throttle shift adjustment first.

With that being said i'm glad they stepped it up...hopefully diablo takes note and raises it to the next level.
Severe:
Interesting theory. Here are the facts. Superchips supports 15 vehicle nameplates and over 51 engine families, covering hundreds of make, model and year permutations - the widest coverage of any tuning company. Superchips is the ONLY tuning company that monitors and adjusts its calibrations to include critical updates from the OEMs on a real time basis. That way - if you take your vehicle to your dealer they don't find a 2004 file in your 2007 HEMI (Red Flag). With respect to options, we have a far more thorough testing procedure than any of our competitors. We will not release a product that we are not 100% confident in because we have a 15 year reputation to protect. We also sell 4 times more tuners than Diablo does and have a lot more to lose if we have problems. If they blow up a couple trucks, who cares?? They might not even be here in 12 months.

As far as Diablo raising their game. They will. They will release the exact same features in 2 weeks. That's about how long it takes them to copy our code.

Adam

Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i just wanted to say thanks Adam for taking the time and coming on here and talking about the Superchip. i feel with the research you guys do is great and your always looking to improve. this made me 110% confident in your product and thats why i bought the Superchips 3815 tonight thanks again

Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
well i finally got a SC. at moes. cant wait till it gets here
Good call on getting it from Moe's. They have some fast shipping. You are going to love the tuner. It will really wake up your truck, I know it did for mine.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
Full TCM support for the Ram product has been there for years. Superchips is the only tuning company that has TCM figured out in our Rams over various years.

The rest of the tuning companies are having trouble with it or don't offer it at all. '07 seems to be the year the other tuning companies seem to have some success in regards to the Ram TCM.

Sil
Really, that's funny because to this day there's no user adjustability for shifts with the superchips( it's "coming soon")...yet diablo had this ability at launch. Along with being able to just fuel and spark....nope SC can't do that either. Hell SC can't even adjust idle yet. Still think they have full TCM support...the full part would include user adjustable features.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Good call on getting it from Moe's. They have some fast shipping. You are going to love the tuner. It will really wake up your truck, I know it did for mine.
yea thanks man. i cant wait till it gets here.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MSD Adam
Severe:
Interesting theory. Here are the facts. Superchips supports 15 vehicle nameplates and over 51 engine families, covering hundreds of make, model and year permutations - the widest coverage of any tuning company. Superchips is the ONLY tuning company that monitors and adjusts its calibrations to include critical updates from the OEMs on a real time basis. That way - if you take your vehicle to your dealer they don't find a 2004 file in your 2007 HEMI (Red Flag). With respect to options, we have a far more thorough testing procedure than any of our competitors. We will not release a product that we are not 100% confident in because we have a 15 year reputation to protect. We also sell 4 times more tuners than Diablo does and have a lot more to lose if we have problems. If they blow up a couple trucks, who cares?? They might not even be here in 12 months.

As far as Diablo raising their game. They will. They will release the exact same features in 2 weeks. That's about how long it takes them to copy our code.

Adam
I find that hard to believe. I never once heard anything about superchips years ago when looking for a handheld for my LS1 maro...the LS guys sure mentioned the predator though. Maybe that's because of the superchips lack of features...to this very day it lacks user adjustable features and only 1 tune. Here is an just an example...diablos features for the LS1 tuner and your features:

Diablo:From diablos site http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...display&pid=67

Timing Table 1000-1800rpm (+/- 20%)

Timing Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)

Timing Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

Fuel Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)

Fuel Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)

Speed Limiters (Trucks Only)

Rev Limiters

RPM Shift Points

MPH Up and Downshifts

Shift Timing

Shift Pressure

Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures

Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes

Torque Management abuse mode time limit ON/OFF

% torque reduction vs. RPM ON/OFF

Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF

Adjust for different injector size

Adjust COT enable temperature

All standard DiabloSport Predator features

Superchips: From your site http://superchips.com/products.php?p...LaCrosse+Super

Eliminate Speed Limiter
Eliminate Skip Shift (stick) or Adjust Shift Points (automatics)
Adjust Rev Limiter
Control the Cooling Fan to Lower the Running Temperature
Recalibrate Speedometer for rear gear change

Your testing must be pretty "thorough" to still be behind the curve years later...with no end in sight. If the predator never launched for the hemi ram you guys would still have crap for options on the 3815.

Also they already have most of your "coming soon" features...so why would they want your code? Usually the one's copying are the ones that don't have said material yet...otherwise it would be like copying off someones test when their sheet is blank yet you have the answers. Doesn't make sense..

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 02-04-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

gotta say Adam, your'e digging yourself a little bit of a hole. They might take some of your stuff, but I'm seeing you guys do the same.

I think the problem you have is that DS just came out with a tuner in the price range of a flashpaq, yet it has the custom tunability like you're more expensive tuners. Now, what to do? Don't upgrade the SC and drop the price, or upgrade it to compete with DS and hurt the Cortex?

Quick Reply: Diablo or superchips???