3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo or superchips???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
i got the diablo for v-day from the wife after reading about how its blowing trannys up im returning it and getting a 3815. thanks hammer on the info on the trannys blowing with the diablo
All I can say is that i've never had a problem with any predator tune in any vehicle. When reading horror stories there's always holes...they're usually highly modded or on a high mileage tranny that would've went out with any line pressure increase from any tuner. Or they're third person stories which are always reliable. Take everything with a grain of salt man..

Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
here's a new one. ditched the mileage XS to try the 91 tune.

Truck seemed fine at first. But after every turn on, after the first up****, once I stop it feels like it's got no power. like seriously, damn near NO power. I could floor it and it takes about 8 seconds to get to 30 mph. at some point something kicks in and the wheels go spinning. If i put it in tow/haul, then all is well. and once i'm up to speed, it's fine as well. what gives??
That sounds just plain wrong. I would try resetting to stock, updating the tuner and then reprogramming the truck. Let us know what happens with it when you try reprogramming.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I put about 80 miles or so on the new update yeasterday. It gave a nice improvement on the driveability of the truck. The 45mph bog is almost completely gone. In the past the truck would bog down around 45mph under light throttle and chug along at way too low of an rpm. Now it is not doing it nearly as much. It feels as though the trans is holding the gear longer so that I do not get in too high of a gear for the speed that I am cruising at.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
traker1001
Captain

Ok, Say I have a 91 tune on my truck, And I update the FlashPaq over the internet. How does one reload the 91 tune? Does it just detect there is a difference between the one on the FP and ECU, Or do I have to change to another tune and change back?

Sorry for the basic question.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by traker1001
Ok, Say I have a 91 tune on my truck, And I update the FlashPaq over the internet. How does one reload the 91 tune? Does it just detect there is a difference between the one on the FP and ECU, Or do I have to change to another tune and change back?
Just reload the 91 tune again, so it takes the new calibration.

Sil

Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM
traker1001
Captain

ok, thanks.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
All I can say is that i've never had a problem with any predator tune in any vehicle. When reading horror stories there's always holes...they're usually highly modded or on a high mileage tranny that would've went out with any line pressure increase from any tuner. Or they're third person stories which are always reliable. Take everything with a grain of salt man..
Usually I'd agree with you 100% Seve', but I don't think it's the case here. Too many people killing trannies the last couple weeks and ALL seem to have the Predator.
Got on the HIGH END forums yesterday, you know the ones by performance shop guys/ for performance shop guys. A lot of buzz about staying away from the Predator! Plus I made inquieries to three of the top Hemi Performance guru's in the country yesterday as well. Mainly because I was considering a Diablo with the custom tune for my cam swap. The SCT just doesn't offer features for the '04s yet that the Superchips and Diablo offer. Two responded and both advised to stay away from the Predator at this time, they've seen too many roasted trannies personally.
Enough for me...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Too many people killing trannies the last couple weeks and ALL seem to have the Predator.
The number of guys with a fried trans who are running the DSP seems to be growing every day that I read the forums.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Of the two that responded to me yesterday, one was Hemifever, who has stopped custom programming the Predator. He said no question, they are roasting transmissions and advised if I could live without some of the features like tire size calibration, to have him or Marty at KRC do a tune with the SCT. My other option is to stick with the Superchips and go with a piggyback to tame the cam.

Don't really know what I'm going to do yet...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Of the two that responded to me yesterday, one was Hemifever, who has stopped custom programming the Predator. He said no question, they are roasting transmissions and advised if I could live without some of the features like tire size calibration, to have him or Marty at KRC do a tune with the SCT. My other option is to stick with the Superchips and go with a piggyback to tame the cam.

Don't really know what I'm going to do yet...
That is a tough call. The SC-PSC1 combo has been showing good results for the guys who are running it. But if it was me I would still go with the SCT since you are putting in a cam. I don't think you can ever beat the ability to get custom tunes when you make changes to your setup.

Quick Reply: Diablo or superchips???