3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo or superchips???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNBURSTKID
the 12.7 was the average.the weight was around 4ooo with crazy winds.
towing a 4klb trailer with crazy winds and you get 13 mpg?! I think that's all you're going to get kid.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
good, so i'm not just full of it.

yea, 13 while towing is pretty damn good, depending on what you're towing of course.
Yeah 'Feej, I still stand by my guns on this one. Best mpg gains are with the performance tune, by far. Even factoring in the cost difference in gas, it's still the most economical tune as well. My opinion, they don't need to have nuthin' but the performance tune and tow tune on there. Yeah, keep the 87 for those who just want to buy cheap gas and not risk pre-detonation, but ditch the mileage tune in favor of a 93 octane perf. tune.

And yeah, almost 13 mpg with a 4k load and wind besides. You ain't gonna see much better than that this side of getting a diesel. We pulled a 16' dual axle trailer with 2 ATVs on it with a buddies Chevy Z71 about a month back, figured it was around 3500-4000 lbs., and he didn't do 10 mpg on the trip. If you can squeek another mpg out with a tuner and tow tune, consider yourself doing well, very well...

Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah 'Feej, I still stand by my guns on this one. Best mpg gains are with the performance tune, by far. Even factoring in the cost difference in gas, it's still the most economical tune as well. My opinion, they don't need to have nuthin' but the performance tune and tow tune on there. Yeah, keep the 87 for those who just want to buy cheap gas and not risk pre-detonation, but ditch the mileage tune in favor of a 93 octane perf. tune.

And yeah, almost 13 mpg with a 4k load and wind besides. You ain't gonna see much better than that this side of getting a diesel. We pulled a 16' dual axle trailer with 2 ATVs on it with a buddies Chevy Z71 about a month back, figured it was around 3500-4000 lbs., and he didn't do 10 mpg on the trip. If you can squeek another mpg out with a tuner and tow tune, consider yourself doing well, very well...
most economical if gas is $4+. at current prices, it's not. regardless of all that, turns out this mileage xs tune is worthless. I can't believe they're charging $250 or so just for a mileageXS tuner.

They should just sell a tuner that does nothing but tweak trans settings and tire diameter for $150-200 or somthing. That'd be a worthwile purchase for those that don't need the high end HP of the SC FP in performance tune, but still want the other stuff (like me). ARE YOU LISTENING SC GUYS?!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

NEVER SEE IT, guys want HP & Torque. You would be in the minority and they ain't gonna put the research and development into it for the 1/66th of 1% of the people interested in such a tune. Recent poll on their site resulted in over 85% wanting a 93 octane tune of all features not currently offered. Now if gas hit $4 a gallon again, it'd be different, but I'd bet not a LOT different.

They offered a "Tire Paq" unit, I haven't seen a ad for it in a while though. It solved the tire calibration issue and I think read and cleared codes. Don't know if it's still available though...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-23-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
MSD Adam

most economical if gas is $4+. at current prices, it's not. regardless of all that, turns out this mileage xs tune is worthless. I can't believe they're charging $250 or so just for a mileageXS tuner.

They should just sell a tuner that does nothing but tweak trans settings and tire diameter for $150-200 or somthing. That'd be a worthwile purchase for those that don't need the high end HP of the SC FP in performance tune, but still want the other stuff (like me). ARE YOU LISTENING SC GUYS?!
We're listening.

Adam

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by MSD Adam
We're listening.

Adam
It's the damn custom tunes I want to see. I love the product, but I called before I bought the thing almost three years ago and confirmed that custom tunes were gonna be offered before I plopped down $450 (the going rate at the time) for this thing. I was ASSURED by you people that custom tunes were in the works. I knew I'd eventually be going to a LT Headers, KRC 210 cam setup and didn't want to have to buy a new tuner.
Well, in stepped MSD and you guys did an about face with the custom tunes, even after you guys inquired about having my truck available to "guinnea pig" for such a project, due to the fact I live about 50 miles from Sanford!
Left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least. I've pushed the product to those who have stock to mildly modded trucks because I still believe it to be the best option for them. But you guys REALLY put a bad taste in my mouth with the whole "custom tune" thing...

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

NEVER SEE IT, guys want HP & Torque. You would be in the minority and they ain't gonna put the research and development into it for the 1/66th of 1% of the people interested in such a tune. Recent poll on their site resulted in over 85% wanting a 93 octane tune of all features not currently offered. Now if gas hit $4 a gallon again, it'd be different, but I'd bet not a LOT different.

They offered a "Tire Paq" unit, I haven't seen a ad for it in a while though. It solved the tire calibration issue and I think read and cleared codes. Don't know if it's still available though...
I disagree. sure you want HP/TQ, that's what the extra $100+ would be for. A reduced price for less stuff...makes sense to me. I'm not saying it's going to be anywhere near as popular as the FP, but hey, they are still selling tirepaq and mileage XS independently (overpriced), so why not sell just the trans tweaking? To half of us that's the best part about the tune anyway.

And the other half of you that LOVE the performance tune, I bet $5 that most of you can't tell when the truck is in 91 tune or just has the trans mod. Sure you say it's a world of difference, but I'm willing to bet most of what your feeling is the trans tweak. Now go 2 shifts without the trans tune, and you know it right away.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I disagree. sure you want HP/TQ, that's what the extra $100+ would be for. A reduced price for less stuff...makes sense to me. I'm not saying it's going to be anywhere near as popular as the FP, but hey, they are still selling tirepaq and mileage XS independently (overpriced), so why not sell just the trans tweaking? To half of us that's the best part about the tune anyway.

And the other half of you that LOVE the performance tune, I bet $5 that most of you can't tell when the truck is in 91 tune or just has the trans mod. Sure you say it's a world of difference, but I'm willing to bet most of what your feeling is the trans tweak. Now go 2 shifts without the trans tune, and you know it right away.
Oh I agree with you 100%, I've stated in many a post that the tranny shifts alone are worth the price of the tuner! I'd love to see what that tune would do with a REAL torque converter in there. I just would be surprised to see it, that's all.
I recently put the truck back to stock and put it on the Jeep for my last Georgia trip. Didn't put it back on the truck when I got back. The truck sucked to drive! Not near the tranny shift improvement on the Jeep with the '02 4.7 H.O. by the way, although I did log a solid 2.3 mpg gain over any previous trip to Ga. with the Jeep.
I made one short trip with the truck when I got back and put the tune back on it. The tranny felt like a wet sponge. You get an SC tuner and you'll never be able to go back to the stock setting, ever!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I'd love to see what that tune would do with a REAL torque converter in there.
oohh to dream...you, me, and thousands of others. stupid band-aid piece of crap. why can't we get a real trans in this truck so we don't have a rubber band for a torque converter? at least that's why I think we have that...

Hammer, won't you need a built trans/TC with your torque monster cam?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

We figured it out on paper at KRC when I discussed ordering the cam. With current mods and the cam/custom tune, I'd be right at what Marty considers the limit of the stock tranny/TQ. About 450 HP at the crank, 345'ish RWHP. I hardly ever push WOT, so I doubt I'll see an issue, but it would probably be the next mod down the road when I'm in a position to be able to go back to work again. If I can even find a job.

He also recommended I might want a Damper to make it more "streetable" after the tune, they ain't cheap either, but unlike the TQ, I can put one of those on...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-23-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Diablo or superchips???