3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo or superchips???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
dyehard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are some good fixes that would make our trannys good. a tc maybe a shift kit what else would be a good idea. if not for performance just to make them more effecient and last longer

Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by MSD Adam
We're listening.

Adam
I can confirm.

I talk to the guys at Superchips regularly. They're working on two options, a TM option and a line pressure option. This will give users the ability to tweak the transmission.

Think about the line pressure option. No need to solder on a transistor to increase line pressure. That's pretty cool.

Sil

Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD Adam and Superchips Tom, is there any ETA for the new features that are coming out for our trannies?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 PM
MSD Adam

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It's the damn custom tunes I want to see. I love the product, but I called before I bought the thing almost three years ago and confirmed that custom tunes were gonna be offered before I plopped down $450 (the going rate at the time) for this thing. I was ASSURED by you people that custom tunes were in the works. I knew I'd eventually be going to a LT Headers, KRC 210 cam setup and didn't want to have to buy a new tuner.
Well, in stepped MSD and you guys did an about face with the custom tunes, even after you guys inquired about having my truck available to "guinnea pig" for such a project, due to the fact I live about 50 miles from Sanford!
Left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least. I've pushed the product to those who have stock to mildly modded trucks because I still believe it to be the best option for them. But you guys REALLY put a bad taste in my mouth with the whole "custom tune" thing...
Hammer:
You're 100% right. We promised you custom tunes and we didn't deliver. I want to explain why, but this is no way an excuse as to why we didn't do what we said. That blame lies entirely with me and I'm sorry.

The reason why we had to change our strategy is not because of MSD. MSD owned the Company when I used to run Superchips in 2005 and 2006. It was then that the Flashpaq debuted and we really tried to give you HEMI guys everything you wanted. The change came when the California Air Resources Board started to poke around the market. We are now, and always have been committed to offering street legal tunes for all of our gasoline customers - which we have done. However, we also plan to go back to serving the racing market with products to help guys perform on the track.

Again, I apologize for letting you guys down. We're committed to doing better and we will (hopefully you have already seen some of these efforts). If any of you guys would like a refund for your purchase because of these custom tuning features not being made available yet, I will happily do so. I do hope you'll stay tuned, however.

Adam
President & CEO
MSD Performance, Inc.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Hammer:
You're 100% right. We promised you custom tunes and we didn't deliver. I want to explain why, but this is no way an excuse as to why we didn't do what we said. That blame lies entirely with me and I'm sorry.

The reason why we had to change our strategy is not because of MSD. MSD owned the Company when I used to run Superchips in 2005 and 2006. It was then that the Flashpaq debuted and we really tried to give you HEMI guys everything you wanted. The change came when the California Air Resources Board started to poke around the market. We are now, and always have been committed to offering street legal tunes for all of our gasoline customers - which we have done. However, we also plan to go back to serving the racing market with products to help guys perform on the track.

Again, I apologize for letting you guys down. We're committed to doing better and we will (hopefully you have already seen some of these efforts). If any of you guys would like a refund for your purchase because of these custom tuning features not being made available yet, I will happily do so. I do hope you'll stay tuned, however.

Adam
President & CEO
MSD Performance, Inc.
Thank you Adam.

Sil

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hammer:

Adam
President & CEO
MSD Performance, Inc.
Class move Adam

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Default 91 Tune finally worked

Got the updated performance tune on this morning after a few days of the SC messin my truck up. Here's the good and bad.

To the Superchips guys: GREAT WORK!! I don't know what it was that was messin with my truck a few days ago, but the new updated tune works, and it works very very well.

Anyone that has read my comments on this forum knows that I am very critical of the published 'gains', but the SC 3815 is just a damn good product regardless. Can't say anything for HP gain (butt dyno isn't that calibrated), but it did feel like it pulled all the way up the range instead of starving above 4500-5000

The shifts are fast and firm, and the Throttle Delay is greatly reduced. Even if you don't come out with something to eliminate torque management (and destroy transmissions ) I am very satisfied with what you have out now, and that's saying a lot since torque management is the most annoying thing to me about my truck.

The bad
I had assumed the tune would change shift points. I had NOT assumed it would change the rev limiter, in fact I had assumed the opposite. So here I am on the highway with my foot to the floor to try her out, and by the time I looked down I was well over 6k RPM. Well, turns out that even if the engine can take it, other things might not be able to.

Think i wrecked the bearing in my alternator. truck has a nasty siren type of whine that shows up around 1400, and gets loud really fast regardless of load on engine, just rpm dependent. Of course my alternator might have crapped out anyway 10k miles down the line, but wtf?!

In short, Good Job MSD ADAM and Superchips TOM. You woke my truck up , and wrecked my alternator (I think).

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
The shifts are fast and firm, and the Throttle Delay is greatly reduced. Even if you don't come out with something to eliminate torque management (and destroy transmissions ) I am very satisfied with what you have out now, and that's saying a lot since torque management is the most annoying thing to me about my truck.
Nice feedback.

If you didn't go in and touch the rev limit setting, it automatically sets the rev limiter to 6200 and 1-2,2-3 to 5950. That's a safe setting. Testing it, it'll never rev that high. I ran dozens of WOT runs with my 04 and had the rev limiter set at 6300 without issue.

Is the noise coming from the alternator or could it be the belt?

Sil

Last edited by SilsHemi; 02-24-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
Nice feedback.

If you didn't go in and touch the rev limit setting, it automatically sets the rev limiter to 6200 and 1-2,2-3 to 5950. That's a safe setting. Testing it, it'll never rev that high. I ran dozens of WOT runs with my 04 and had the rev limiter set at 6300 without issue.

Is the noise is coming from the alternator or could it be the belt?

Sil
lol, wanna bet?

not positive where its coming from yet, but it sure doesn't sound like a belt. i'll check after work.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That was my thought when I read the post, that he stretched a belt that had seen it's better days.

By the way, SC guys, class move to apologize in an open forum. Personal issues have had me delay my cam work for the past year or so, maybe by the time I'm ready to put the cam in, you'll have a better solution in staying with a SC other than going to a piggyback.
Regardless, I have an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7 HO in it, and planned on "handing down" the SC tuner to it at that time. The GC is stock except for a drop-in K&N filter. So I have a use for the tuner, either way.
The product is solid, very solid. It's just the fact that I got on the phone and was told one thing, dropped $450 which was the going rate at the time, and felt like I got lied to a few months later, with NO EXPLANATION until yesterday! The two times I called regarding the issue, I felt like I was blown off. The second time, in late '06, I basically got the "well we are the only game in town, if you don't like it, uninstall the unit and sell it and see if you can live with the stock tune". I basically got the same attitude on your forum, not quite as severe, but nothing even close to admitting fault or a reasonable explanation like I got yesterday.
Seems there has always been one complaint I've read across forums and in talking to people with a Superchips Tuner and that's slow and sometimes VERY impolite customer service. Just some constructive critisism.

Quick Reply: Diablo or superchips???