3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best place to tap into rear speaker wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
snidehockey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place to tap into rear speaker wires?

I've replaced pretty much everything in the truck sound system...

New amp for mids/highs
New amp for 2 subs
New Head unit
New Component speakers in front doors

I don't have the rears hooked to the amp though because I can't find a good spot to tap into the rear speaker wires...I don't wanna take the "B" pillars plastic off unless I HAVE to.

How can I get to the stock amp? I know I could splice into the output harness of that and be golden.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe that the amp is up behind the glove box, behind the dash.

There or behind the trim between the front and rear doors is about the only option.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
froto'sride
Professional

I took my factory amp out and it was the biggest pain in the butt than anything I have ever done and being a mechanic on a sub that says a lot..however also witht that there were probably an easier way to do it but i didn't want to put my beer down and take out everything..however it is behind your glove box. Take the whole box off and start unbolting your dash. to include your cup holder and the screws behind the trim that goes around the radio/ht&ac panel..even with all of that off it isn't that easy to do but it is possible...1/4 rachet and 10mm socket and she is your in about an hour. Now if you have a manual it will help with color coding if not just keep the wires away from each other and plug-and-play until you find out which are which. I have yet to replace my factory infinity's and so it sounds better but abviously only to certian levels. The other PIA is pulling the wires out of the loom with out breaking them or the factory loom. when i get back to my truck i will tak pics and show you if you want... p.s. don't forget that the factory amp has built in crossovers especially for tha coaxiles in the dash and the run parallell with the 6x9's in the doors. The 7th speaker if you have it has +terminal from the passengers side and - terminal from the drivers so it kind of bridges the front in a series..weird huh!!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 PM
snidehockey
Rookie

so it might be easier to just get at the wires from where they come into the b pillar. At least it sounds that way!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
froto'sride
Professional

what kind of head unit do you have? If it is after market then you will get better sound quality by either by-passing the factory amp or running your own wires the sound quality will be much better especially at higher db's/volume. The molding isn't hard at all to take out. it is all snaps if you decided to run your own wires.. but the factory amp greatly takes away from an after market head unite because it is designed to make those cheap(though name brand) speakers sound good by narrowing the freg. responce meaninf after market speakers will sound horrible as long as that amp is in the equation.. I just re-read your first post and you said you had an after market head unit so either get rid of the amp and keep factory wires or run your own straight from the head unit. As soon as i get my diamond hex components and amps in i will run 12ga all around.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Oh yes it is easier to go through the b pillars but if you are putting all that money into it why not get the best out of it? especially if there is an amp powering the speakers. If you tape in here it will still only give you a filtered sound from the factory amp. if you are going to go through the trouble of taking the b-pillar off then just run new wire from the head unit to each speaker and i guarentee you will love the sound quality....if you have quality amps and speakers!

Quick Reply: best place to tap into rear speaker wires?