3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 AM
gmbymn948
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory wheel problem

Has anyone had problems with the 20" stock wheel/tire combo leaking significant amount of air out? I've had my tire checked for holes and reset on the rim twice in the past year, only to have it start leaking air out again. basically, losing 5lbs per day. Could the rim have a chip or crack in it? warrenty?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't. Have you put the whole assembly in a tank of water to look for bubbles?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 AM
gmbymn948
Amateur

yup, only around the bead were there bubbles

Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 AM
bolang
Professional

You will most likely have to buy a new rim.You can try taking it to dealer but they will claim you jump curbs and wheel out of round.Good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

So no air leaking at the valve stem?
did you see if there was any corrosion at the rim where the tire bead sits against? Generally whena tire is mounted, a wire brush is used to smooth out the inner lip to remove any forein debris, excess rubber and any corrosion build-up.
If you have the factory tires still on and within the warranty, I would go to the dealership and tell them they need to fix it. Not ask them if there's anything they can do because they will tell you no. You need to TELL them. Anytime most people go to the dealer and ask a question for warranty related service, they usually get a "no, not covered" because the dealer won't make any money on warranty work. If you tell them they ned to fix it, they will think your are not going to be sent away easily and will perform the work if it's suppose to be covered.
If there's no significant curb rash on the wheel, they have to replace it or fix the problem. End of story. A tire can and will mold to a deformed rim even if you were "jumpin" the truck as Bolang stated which prob isn't true. If your rim was bent is ANY way, especially out-of-round it would be out of balance and shimmy at most speeds above 30mph.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

I was gonna suggest swapping the valve stem and why not take the spare tire and mount it to that rim and see if anything changes. It will at least tell you if the rim or tire itself is bunk.
DirtyDog, nice to see ya back again. Did you get me a shirt?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Only got my nephews shirts this time...lol
They are-----Jamaica....No Problem (That's one of their sayings)

On the 06 you should have plain ole valve stems and not any TPMS devices, so that should be easy enough. The dealer should still cover a tire bead under warranty through the tire manufacturer.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

'Dog, I thought I banned your a$$!!! Ahh sh*t, musta just been wishful thinking. Well, postwhore, there goes the friggin' neighborhood again...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
'Dog, I thought I banned your a$$!!! Ahh sh*t, musta just been wishful thinking. Well, postwhore, there goes the friggin' neighborhood again...
Nah, I had a quota to hit ya know? i'll keep things freed up so you can feel a bit more important with your answers....lmao
No complaining MR. Cocoa Beach. I almost bought a house there 4 or 5 years ago. Lots of people are telling me good thing I didn't.???? Economy is over run they say down there. Anyways, let's keep this thread to topic discussion.....hehehehe

Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
putunxtc

I would have the dealer fix your problem. It sounds fishy to me. I would also suggest using nitrogen in lieu of air once the problem is fixed. Nitrogen is a larger molecule than air which makes it harder for it to escape, unless it is a huge hole. Also, the benefit from nitrogen is there is not any water molecules like air. This will mean no expansion and contraction of the tire in different weather temperatures.

Quick Reply: factory wheel problem