3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airaid Drop in

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the factory air box is made except it's so bulky and takes up so much room on that side of the truck. However, I drive through my share of water and mud puddles/creeks that the factory air box has pretty good protection so thats why I chose to only have a K&N drop in. I'm probably going to make my own piping so I can remove that crappy hat but keep the airbox.

But question, what is this for and do I even need it? Tube circled in red, just wondering what people do with it when they remove the factory airbox

Name:  cai_tube-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  96.0 KB

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you need it...it's the breather for the driver side head that lets vapors escape. You could remove it and put a breather filter in it's place but...yea.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
draco8494
Captain

im also thinking of keeping the stock airbox, the cone filter gets way too dirty way to quick..also switching over to oiless filter just my .02

Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Yes you need it...it's the breather for the driver side head that lets vapors escape. You could remove it and put a breather filter in it's place but...yea.

gotcha...I just noticed that I never saw it with peoples CAIs containing the cone so I was wondering what they did when removing it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I have it on mine. If you look at the pic, where the tube bends down, you will see a blue hose coming off of there. That is the breather. The one on the 4.7 goes to the passenger side. The Hemi goes to the other side. All of the CAIs have an attachment for it.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
andrew67
Amateur

Originally Posted by draco8494
im also thinking of keeping the stock airbox, the cone filter gets way too dirty way to quick..also switching over to oiless filter just my .02
Who makes a oil less filter now. I couldn't find a air hog anyplace so settled for a k and n.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Originally Posted by rssjib
Rango - yours looks tight!! I like that look actually because I think the most restrictive part is the hemi hat. And I am 89% retarded! LOLOL I used a PVC grommet for a freakin' Toyota for my IAT!!
'Preciate that buddy. I might try and find a different elbow to work with to maybe help put the box back exactly where it should be. Its just barely off, so I can live with it for now. Whenever it gets painted, it might not look too bad.

Thats what I like so much about yours, has zero "homemade" look to it IMO. You could sell that bitch on ebay, Id buy it

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
draco8494
Captain

at my local advance auto parts...they got all kinds of custom performace air filters..lol, they really only have 2 diff brands K&N and AEM dryflow wich is what im refering to...you dont have to clean it/ oil it..just take it off and literally dust it off with compressed air or shop vac..and has the million mile deal with it too i think

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
I like how the factory air box is made except it's so bulky and takes up so much room on that side of the truck. However, I drive through my share of water and mud puddles/creeks that the factory air box has pretty good protection so thats why I chose to only have a K&N drop in. I'm probably going to make my own piping so I can remove that crappy hat but keep the airbox.

But question, what is this for and do I even need it? Tube circled in red, just wondering what people do with it when they remove the factory airbox

Actually, that is the intake hose for the PCV valve. It is in the intake track so that it is filtered by the air filter before it is suckec into the crankcase. It needs to have some type of filtration by a breather cap or hooked into the air intake somewhere.

Quick Reply: Airaid Drop in