3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flatten spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
draco8494
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 to bringin it back to the stealership....just love being able to stick it to them when the vehicles under warranty

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

on my truck, the #4 and #6 plugs shattered, and the dealer had to rebuild the two cylinders, it put holes in the pistons. they claim that #6 cylinder predetonates and this has happened several times before. on mine, it threw a misfire CEL code. i posted on it a few weeks back. it was covered under warranty.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
on my truck, the #4 and #6 plugs shattered, and the dealer had to rebuild the two cylinders, it put holes in the pistons. they claim that #6 cylinder predetonates and this has happened several times before. on mine, it threw a misfire CEL code. i posted on it a few weeks back. it was covered under warranty.
It was #6 on mine as well. The plug electrodes were pushed flat after they were impacted by a piece of the piston that had literally broken off and bounced around in the cylinder. I also had the misfire CEL. They say the thin lip where the top ring sits tends to chip off.
I have a later model hemi in my 03 now (under warranty).

Word of caution: Avondale Dodge here in AZ told me that nothing was wrong with the truck and sent me on my way after saying that i had not gapped my plugs correctly. I then went straight to Lou Grubb Dodge (barely made it there on the trucks last legs) where they put a scope into the cylinder and found the problem in a matter of minutes.
There is a huge difference in dealers...be sure they don't jerk you around.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brungsc
Yes they are touching the electrode completely pinch shut and both plugs in the 6th cylinder one plug in the 1st cylinder and one in the 4th cylinder , the spark plugs were replaced at the dealership so I assume they are the right plugs used if helps will post brand and number tommorow after work
Never assume the dealer has the remotest clue. Hope the piston tops are OK. Bet not.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ce2flaco
They say the thin lip where the top ring sits tends to chip off.
Clear cut sign of DETONATION!!!

That is why 89oct is recommended

Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

yes, pre-detonation is what i was told causes this. just between you and I, I had run 87 for a few months in the summer during high fuel prices. not anymore, its 89 or I dont drive it. mine was still fixed under warranty though. If you ask me, only fixing one or two cylinders seems like a bandaid though, but I couldnt talk em into a new engine. i tried lol.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Clear cut sign of DETONATION!!!

That is why 89oct is recommended
89 or better is all i ever run...EVER.

I had one of the first Hemi's out in 03 and from what i'm hearing, part of the problem was design. From what i understand the later Hemi's are improved in this area.
Anyone agree or disagree?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brungsc
and there should be no wear on the engine it is a brand new engine it had to be replaced under warranty due to the same problem , I run straight pipes off my engine and have a cold air intake and a hi flo catalytic converter
Your engine is blown from running lean. If you are using a handheld tuner, then that made you leaner and boom. Chrysler engines do not adjust from increased air flow like Ford and Chev do. SD vs MAF

Quick Reply: flatten spark plugs