3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I an idiot? Nerf bar install....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I an idiot? Nerf bar install....

Alright fellas. I previously stated that Im 78% retarded, I might be holding my word on this one......

My chrome nerf bars I got for christmas finally came in! I get everything out, sort it all out, pre-read the instructions, and have at it. Well, I didn't get past the first bolt

The directions said to unbolt "the 4 body bolts". I look and see what I think are 6 "body bolts". So, I figure Im just working with the first and last one. The directions also say to "retain the factory bushing and metal plate". This is where the problem is. All I got when I took the bolt out was the "metal plate" (which was really a giant washer). No bushing.....

I continue to try and bolt the mounting bracket, using the supplied "body bolt". Problem is, when I get as far as I can, I still have an inch or two gap. I thought at first that I cross-threaded the bolt, so I took it out, tried again, and could get a good bit in by hand, so maybe not. What bushing are they talking about? Are the 07's supposed to be equipped with this? The kit is from Summit, for 02-08 models.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Im not too saavy with this kinda stuff, so no surprise I turned this into such a task. Maybe its not my fault this time

Last edited by 4.7Ram5.7Rango; 01-19-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the bushings they are refierring to are the isolators between the bed and the frame. This would mean they they are squished between the bed and frame and they prob shouldn't have even mentioned them because they wouldn't even be noticed nor removed to begin with. I'm pretty sure you pull out the bolt and put in the new longer bolt.
Now, the longer bolt will go into the threading further than stock. You may have a hard time due to corrosion build up where the factory bolt never reached if you follow me? I would get under the truck and look and see if that could be the problem. I don't know if it's a welded nut, retaining clip, or threads into the frame itself??? But I do remember working with a Ford last summer and mounting a Bike lift and having a similar problem!
Good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Don't be so hard on yourself, thats why these websites like DF exist for you to ask and get help.
By the way when I installed my mopar ones on my 02 it took me a long time and I screwed up a few things.

johnny.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
robeeto

I installed the Summit steps on mine. Just take the old bolts out and put the longer ones in. The bushing stays in place, if you didnt see it, its still in there. Those bolts and the captive muts they thread into have a very heavy zinc plating on them, and dont thread together easily.
Did you get the stainless?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Ahhh, Im not too hard on myself, I state the facts I tend to make things waaay more complicated then they should be.

When cranking on the bolt, I didnt want to tourque it too much, I thought I heard a 'cracking' noise. But I should keep cranking it, see what happens? I understand what is being said, that the factory bolts aren't as long as the hole is drilled, so there's still room up there for the longer bolt. I guess I'll have at it again tomorrow, we'll see. I just hope I'm not threading it wrong, but I guess if I was, it wouldn't have gone that far.

BTW, I did go with the stainless bars, if thats what the "stainless" question was referring too. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Did you get the bars installed?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker

On average how far do the bars hang down after they are installed? Can the height be adjusted?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You got those 4 bolts done yet?

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-20-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had just recently put mine on in the past month so its still reletivly fresh in my mind.yes i had the same problem with the bolts not wanting to go all the way in with out making a heck of a noise,so i spayed a little wd-40 on the bolts and in the hole on the body.It was still hard to turn but it made it alot easier.the problem your going to run into( its the same one i had) is getting the support bracket bolts that go into the body to stay while your trying to get them tight.I had to jam a screw driver in the hole against the spacer to hold it where i wanted it to be while i was tightening the bolt.I know the instructions have alot to be desired and leave out some ionfo that you might think you need to do it.but don't worry i had the same problems you are having.i just read the instructions over and over and i finially got it.besides don't worry you drive a ram your smarter than you think you are

Quick Reply: Am I an idiot? Nerf bar install....