3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
GotaQuestion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question.

Alright, I'm new to dodge trucks and have a question, recently started working a dodge dealership, one of the techs had to replace the exhaust on a 3rd gen ram, but always have been a ford guy so I don't know much about these rams,

on the exhaust, you have the muffler, large, round and long. then a little bit after the mufflers you have another small muffler like looking thing, usually mounted just before the tail pipe. Now since you guys are into these trucks, I figured you could tell me exactly what it is and what purpose it serves ? I know trucks with them seem to be pretty throaty sounding from the factory, and thought maybe it was what made them bellow ?

Long story short, the truck had something come up and smash the exhaust, if mopar doesn't want it for warranty I'll take it for my truck, my truck has a straight six and I've been playing with muffler. I was thinking maybe it would make my exhaust sound a bit deeper ?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 PM
GotaQuestion

Come on, anybody ?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

a cat, doesnt add sound, if anything takes away from it

Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mdram43
a cat, doesnt add sound, if anything takes away from it
Thats not a cat, thats a resonator. Cats are on the front of the exhaust before the muffler.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Got Poi

i took out my rear section out.. it's hellla sound like a hemi!!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The resonator is on 1500 MDS trucks to get rid of exhaust drone. It is not on any 2500/3500 Rams.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

my 4.7l without mds had one resonator at the rear. the resonator is like a muffler and deadens the noise even more. for some reason people like quiet trucks so the factory makes them as quiet as possible. these trucks have a very ***** exhaust from factory no sound at all. just get a new performance muffler (under $100) and weld it in place of the stock and you will have a very throaty sound. forget swapping stock muffs or the resonator to your truck. will be a waste.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
GotaQuestion

Hmm, so I was thinking the opposite, it seems to me that rams are the loudest trucks from the factory. I remember one in particular that I got in to work on, it was a lease turn in, I started it and it really rumbled, and sounded just like a flowmaster. I was like oh, must have an exhaust system. So I lift it up and look underneath out of curiousty and find it's stock exhaust, so i figured being so close to the tail pipe it might have been hollow and made to give the exhaust it's depth/deep tone. I looked into the pipe and saw it's a straight through construction, nothing blocking flow. And I was planning to ditch my current muffler and weld that resonator in insetad, so it'd be a straight pipe with the resanator on it.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by nickahern1
my 4.7l without mds had one resonator at the rear. the resonator is like a muffler and deadens the noise even more.

Your truck had a resonator? Mine did not have any resonators stock.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah its weird because ive seen some 06s have them and some do not. just like ive seen some hemis have 2 and some only have 1. ( my bros 07 hemi ram only had 1 before tailpipe) i didnt understand why i had one at all. i still have it laying around somewhere unless my dad cleaned out his garage where i store all my crap haha. i havent looked in the rafters in a few years. even more wierd is the dealer i got it from said it may have been a truck made for the california emmisions standards or something. doesnt seem to make sense to me.

yeah i geuss the ram stock exhaust has a little more rumble than the other trucks, but by no means does it sound anything like a flowmaster at all. you can hear me coming a few blocks away with mine. my truck with stock exhaust i couldnt even hear running in the driveway when i was in my house, needless to say it went right to the exhaust shop same day i bought it brand new haha.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question.