3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why did you buy the v6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:42 PM
Twink
|
Veteran
Default Why did you buy the v6?

Im asking myself this question now.. why the hell did i buy the v6 and not the hemi.. well quite simply i wanted something cheaper on gas but now im burning about as much fuel as the 4.7 does sooo that was useless..

how about u

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:46 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah seems like the 3.7/4.7l/5.7l are all in the same ballpark on gas. i know my 4.7 averages 15 sometimes better but usually not haha. i didnt get a truck to care about my mileage though. i drive it like i stole it.

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:11 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I got it for work and regular transportation. It's my first truck and I just recently bought it used from a guy because it was low mileage and a good price.

Old 01-21-2009 | 10:00 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

well since this is my first truck, my dad didnt want to get me something powerful since im an inexperienced driver. I kind of wish i had a hemi now or even the 4.7 since it gets the same gas mileage. I still wonder how a V6 and a V8 can get the same gas mileage. That disobeys the laws of physics. i mean a smaller engine should burn less gas under the same conditions, right?

Old 01-21-2009 | 10:17 PM
Twink
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by raminator08
well since this is my first truck, my dad didnt want to get me something powerful since im an inexperienced driver. I kind of wish i had a hemi now or even the 4.7 since it gets the same gas mileage. I still wonder how a V6 and a V8 can get the same gas mileage. That disobeys the laws of physics. i mean a smaller engine should burn less gas under the same conditions, right?

incorrect put it this way. Your v6 must work harder i.e consuming more gas to move the weight of your truck so basically the v6 power somethin like what 210 hp to move 4500 lbs or whatever it is compared to a hemi which is what 300 something hp moving the same weight meaning it needs to burn LESS fuel to move the weight. our little v6s must work harder consuming more fuel to move the weight

Old 01-21-2009 | 10:32 PM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

so lose the weight lightweight wheels and tires derricksmash was talking about that,fiberglass hood,rollpan,lose the tailgate get a net,lower it,smaller mirrors,lower front air dam so it makes a smaller hole through the air. fiberglass front fenders they do make those.

Old 01-22-2009 | 12:01 AM
MarkMark6464
Professional

Oh, well I was in SUCH a hurry to get a regular cab dodge ram and I found a cheap one that happened to be the v6, I THOUGHT it would get better gas mileage and I THOUGHT it had enough power. . . Its NEVER enough power. Not to mention I just wanted a "new" car to impress my girlfriends parents. *Thumbs Up*

Old 01-22-2009 | 12:07 AM
MarkMark6464
Professional

Originally Posted by raminator08
That was you first vehicle?!?!?! YOU LUCKY SON OF A BITCH!!!

And to explain it further. It's like a miniature pony and a Clydesdale pulling a giant weight... The Clydesdale can pull it easy cause it's so big, but its big, so it eats a lot. Where as the poor little pony has to work really hard to pull the same weight. So he's gonna be freakin hungry! Problem is. There is only so much weight you can shave off of a little pony.

Old 01-22-2009 | 12:13 AM
Twink
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by MarkMark6464
That was you first vehicle?!?!?! YOU LUCKY SON OF A BITCH!!!

And to explain it further. It's like a miniature pony and a Clydesdale pulling a giant weight... The Clydesdale can pull it easy cause it's so big, but its big, so it eats a lot. Where as the poor little pony has to work really hard to pull the same weight. So he's gonna be freakin hungry! Problem is. There is only so much weight you can shave off of a little pony.

haha well im 20 and this is my FIRST new vehicle does that count too ... i dunno i dont mind the single cab short box v6 to be honest i think im one of the only oones in my town so il just have to do with what i got !

Old 01-22-2009 | 04:07 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

got my truck back in late 06 cause i was in a wheelchair (had a maxima before that and a 91(?) dakota with a 2000 5.9 in it. it was faster than **** and the guy i bought it from ran it in the 8th mile.

and i was in a wheelchair, and needed something cheap. dodge was offering 4,500 cash back on a regular cab 06 ram st (cause the 07 was out). there was only two "nearby". a smoke gray one in kentucky, and a red on in matteson illinois. dealer did a dealer trade, and i got my truck cheap (at the time)...15,200. that's why i was stuck with the v6. wasn't happy about it (but they offered tons of money back), but i have a maxima, camaro and a stingray (and the dakota was totalled in accident)...so the quicker side of me is covered, and little did i think i random *** red ram would be my daily driver in winter.