3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I'll try the Plain ole Silverstars in my Fogs and see how I like them. I don't want the Ultras because they are much more blue. i don't like that. I plan on getting 5000k HID's, so the Silverstar regulars seem like they should work.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont laugh fellas but I have John deere tractor bulbs in my foglights and they are brighter then any after market bulb and possibly as strong as HID's. I know what your thinking they want 29.99 per bulb and there fricking tractor headlight bulbs...
They use some type of IR reflective thing and a different filament. They have a huge circular head like a baseball and needed a minor sanding down to fit but wow man they are worth it. If you dont believe me do your homework, they put out almost double the lumens your stock bulbs put out and use the same wattage and last alot longer then 1 year...
Silverstar even say they last alot less then regular bulbs. Get the John deere bulbs, you wont regret it I promise well not really promise but youll like em.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I just got back from autozone and Sylvania is having a mail-in rebate until the beginning of feburary. It's $10 back on twin pack ultras and 5 back for twin pack regular silverstars....the bastards don't make a twin pack for our headlights though. Course you'll have to wait 3 months for it but hey..

Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I just got back from autozone and Sylvania is having a mail-in rebate until the beginning of feburary. It's $10 back on twin pack ultras and 5 back for twin pack regular silverstars....the bastards don't make a twin pack for our headlights though. Course you'll have to wait 3 months for it but hey..
bought mine off ebay for cheap a few months back

Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
JohnnysArt
All Star

PIAA are brighter than the SS.

johnny.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My Ultra's in my driving lights are very white. Not blue at all. The have the standard SS's in the headlights. I too noticed that they do not extend as far out as the original Headlamps did. I wonder why. I might e-mail them and ask them.
The Ultras in the driving lights are wonderful. Much whiter light and easier to see the road!!
I may put my stock headlamps back in for now since I need the longer range on my 5am highway commute every morning.
I'll put the SS's in the wife's Caliber

Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 AM
motorsporta59
Rookie

The ultras aren't really blue at all. The bulb has a slight purple tint to it but it shines bright white. You might want to look at 4300k HID's if you really don't like the blueish tinge. I haven't seen 5000k but I have seen 4300 and 6000. The 4300 does have a slight blue shine to them but they mostly are white, and the 6000 are really blue...

Last edited by motorsporta59; 01-25-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM
justanothermoparman
Veteran

I have the Ultras in my lower driving lights (fog lights) for six months and the drivers side has already burned out, so I'm going to put the yellow PIAA's in instead. Then I'm going to put the Extrem White PIAA's in the head with the PIAA 540 driving light's that I instaled today. That oghta get me plenty of light, and fog cutting abillity don't you all think.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
Dont laugh fellas but I have John deere tractor bulbs in my foglights and they are brighter then any after market bulb and possibly as strong as HID's. I know what your thinking they want 29.99 per bulb and there fricking tractor headlight bulbs...
They use some type of IR reflective thing and a different filament. They have a huge circular head like a baseball and needed a minor sanding down to fit but wow man they are worth it. If you dont believe me do your homework, they put out almost double the lumens your stock bulbs put out and use the same wattage and last alot longer then 1 year...
Silverstar even say they last alot less then regular bulbs. Get the John deere bulbs, you wont regret it I promise well not really promise but youll like em.
That makes a lot of sense. You know what type of light John Deere uses? They use Hellas on their equipment, so they have a great quality light, and are really bright. If they are from the new equipment, then it's the Xenon lights, which those ones are like 10x brighter than regular halogen bulbs, and out in the field you need the bright lights that extend ahead.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just make sure theose lights from your John Deere draw 55w/60w. If they are much brighter it's because they draw more power and can and will melt your wiring. Gotta becareful on those aftermarket lights.

Quick Reply: Silverstars