3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How good is the stock stereo???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:18 PM
raminator08
|
Record Breaker
Default How good is the stock stereo???

i was looking at the specs on the 06+ factory stereo and saw the power output was like 66 watt because i saw it for sale here
http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/st...uct_43439.html
i know that aftermarket stereos put out like 50 watts so there has to be a mistake, right?
someone who know these things just tell me truth- thanks
i was thinking about upgrading my speakers and putting in a sub but i wasnt sure if the factory stereo could take it

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:26 PM
sos
All Star

Well I'm not sure if the specs are correct, but even if it is, power isn't everything. Just because a stereo puts out more power doesn't mean it's "better." There are more features to be found on aftermarket, and the clarity can also be different, among other things. Personally, I'm fine with the factory head unit (although I did swap my REF for an RAQ, but that's just because I liked the features better). I'm not an audiophile, and to me the system meets my needs - it plays CDs, gets radio stations (Sirius and traditional), and I can listen to my iPod with the Monster FM Modulator.

The factory head units don't have a line out on them, so it would be more difficult to connect an amp to it than an aftermarket. I'm sure it can be done somehow, but with a standard aftermarket, you just use RCA cables between the head unit and the amp.

Swapping out the speakers would still be ok, even if you don't add an amp. However, if you have the Infinity system, that complicates things as well. I've never done it so I can't help you with any upgrades. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:42 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

I have the Infinity system, I love it. 6 disc in dash changer, and its plenty loud for me. sounds really clear for passengers in the back seat also. I was told though, that adding a sub would be worthless without an amp. and they also said i needed a new head unit to install an aftermarket amp as well. dont know if that is correct or not, im not an audio guy either...

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:43 PM
raminator08
|
Record Breaker

yeah, i just wasnt sure if the factory system had a sub-out connection.
does anyone here have any experience with adding subs and amps to factory stereos?

Old 02-02-2009 | 12:43 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

I added an amp and subs to my factory radio. I’m not an expert on car audio or anything; I have a friend that has a shop. But when he installed my amp, had to use a line out convertor, I think it’s called. It attaches to whatever speaker has the bass, in my 06 with the Infinity system, it was the front doors. The convertor connects to the amp.

Old 02-02-2009 | 12:56 AM
bert6573
Professional

Before I bought my in-dash, I was using the factory stereo.

I do have an amp, and subs in the truck...i was bought an equilizer and tapped into the stereo to get the left/right for the RCAs...the EQ i bought allows the user to modify and change the settings...you know cause the factory stereo doesnt have an option for the subs...

they sell an small device to make the RCAs...it taps into the stereo harness...the EQ that i have does the same thing, but allows you to manipulate the sound.....

just my two cents

Old 02-02-2009 | 02:52 PM
osufans
Veteran

I've done just what you are asking, pretty much how was explained above on my Dodge Neon. I kept my factory head unit, and tapped the factory speaker wires with line-out converters, which then enabled me to patch RCA cables to my amp. I find the factory stereo to be more than adequate. I personally like the clean look the factory stereo offers over many of the junky looking dash kits. I plan to do the same on my truck, though that will be a bit trickier. I'll probably tap the factory wires directly behind the receiver, as I'm planning to mount my amp under the driver's seat. With the speakers in the doors, I'm not sure how hard it would be to gain access and run them back to the amp.

One plus to this setup, you won't be a target to car audio thieves.

Old 02-02-2009 | 04:46 PM
CVS

WHat do you guys think of this stereo:

http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/eclipse-...in;contentBody

I like the fact that it is clean, non-flashy and doubble tall so it does not leave a gap where the factory stereo was.

Also offers navigation at no extra dashboard real estate.

Old 02-02-2009 | 04:52 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by CVS
WHat do you guys think of this stereo:

http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/eclipse-...in;contentBody

I like the fact that it is clean, non-flashy and doubble tall so it does not leave a gap where the factory stereo was.

Also offers navigation at no extra dashboard real estate.
i like eclipse alot but i would get one that has the nav built in the unit like this one unless you like the portable feature.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...B+iPC-106.html

but if you like that one its way cheaper here.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+AVN2210p.html

Last edited by SilverBullet08; 02-02-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 06:02 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Line outs work fine for alot of people but if you want to go loud and still have clear sound then you should go with aftermarket stereo and run ALL the speakers with amps through the RCA's. Look for 4 volt preouts and at least three RCA's.

Quick Reply: How good is the stock stereo???