3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

An "is this normal" question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question An "is this normal" question..

Alright, so i'm from pennsylvania- roads can get pretty bad here at some points. When i'm not in 4wheel and the truck gets a little squirrely and spins tire- the parking brake light comes on. Is this normal? like just a dummy light comming on to tell me that my bedside is at my passenger window?

Also, my ABS seems to make more noise than any other ABS ive felt/heard. When the ABS kicks in it vibes real loud- like a cell phone on a wooden table x10. Anyone else's this loud?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 AM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't even tell my ABS is working. You may have a warped rotor, This could cause all your problems listed. When was your last break job?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran

Not sure when the last brake job was, the vibe seems to be comming from the front left? but the rotors aren't warped-no vibe or jolt in the steering wheel when braking- bought the truck with 11,000 miles on it, now its around 18k. Pads look fine as well as rotors. im hoping maybe i'm just being a little too observant..

Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 AM
abarmby
Champion

The abs does indeed sound like a very loud vibrating phone but the steering wheel should not shake. This sound lets you know that the abs is working so I think what your experiencing is normal.
As for the light on when the wheels are spinning???
Well that sounds like the rear abs/speed sensor pick up in the rear diff getting a little squirrly.
Does the light come on when you spin the wheels up on a wet/dry surface or only on snow/mud?
Al.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I have never felt my abs as severely as you are describing. And I have also never had the brake light come on when I spin the back tires on my truck, even having done a 180 before on the ice I never had that happen.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I have never felt my abs as severely as you are describing. And I have also never had the brake light come on when I spin the back tires on my truck, even having done a 180 before on the ice I never had that happen.
2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS?? makes a big difference.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I've got 4 wheel abs.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran

the parking brake light comes on when the wheels spin, on snow/wet roads/mud. the light will turn off after a few minutes though. I've always thought it was some sort of "hey, your tires are spinning" dummy light. apparently not...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by mopar6spd
the parking brake light comes on when the wheels spin, on snow/wet roads/mud. the light will turn off after a few minutes though. I've always thought it was some sort of "hey, your tires are spinning" dummy light. apparently not...
In Europe, sometimes these lights also indicate that the traction control is coming on.
However, I believe some Dodge model trucks have this traction control and some don't?
Someone will chime in.
If yours doesn't have this feature, the pickup on top of the pumpkin which gets a feed from the toner ring in the diff, might have a problem?
Either that or your ABS sensors/system has an errror.
Have you looked for a code?
I must admit, my 03 light does not come on when I spin the wheels on any surface either.
Al.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

I think they started putting traction control in around 07-08 so his pickup wouldn't have it. I say it's something screwy.

Quick Reply: An "is this normal" question..