3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Infinity Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Infinity Stereo System

I want to replace the rear speakers and the 6x9 door speakers. Are they all 2ohm? I have the infinity 7 speaker system. What will happen with a 4ohm speaker will it burn up the amp? If I need 2ohm speakers where do I get them? Thanks a ton.... Also I know the 6x9's in front only put out bass, is there a good replacement for them that are bass only? Just seems like a waste to get a 2 or 3 way speaker?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Ben D.
Champion

replace them with infinity aftermarkes about all you can do. I can't really think of anyone else that makes two ohm setups... i think kicker SS series are but those need a amplfiier capable of 150w rms which the factory one doesn't even do a tenth of. if someone else has seen any other brands with 2 ohm models plz chime in. I wouldn't replace them with 4 ohms speakers. won't really hurt anything with the factory amp but the higher resistance will make the amp put out even less power than before and will mean you will have less volume and as you bump up volume numerically on the head unit you will run into distortion and soon fry your new fancy aftermarkets.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 AM
butch1581
Captain

I am a little confused. In this link it says they are 2ohm but then in the description it says "true 4ohm" are these ok to use......any infinity speaker ok to use....reference, kappa, kappa perfect......thanks again for the help........Gonna have to do some shopping. will replacing the facotry infinitys with some of these help. I know the factory "infinity" speakers are just as crappy looking/sounding as any other factory speaker. They look straight out of the 70's!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Ben D.
Champion

any 4 ohm speaker physically will work yes. but the problem with using the four ohm speakers usually becomes an issue with the user. the factory amp is designed to put out it's maximum RMS power output at 2 ohms. It can operate at higher resistances without a problem. The only downside is that by going up to 4 ohms you just about cut the power the amplifier puts out to those speakers by a factor of 2.... that means that to achieve the same volume level you did before you will end up turning up the volume on the factory head unit even higher to get the output you are looking for. The bad thing with that is if you go to far you cross into the area where the factory head unit and amp can not reproduce a clean signal. also known as distortion.. distortion kills speakers. doesn't matter how good a speaker it is a distorted/clipped signal can kill it.

if you are responsible and don't just go ***** nilly on the volume **** you would be ok to use 4 ohm speakers. if you want really really loud.. don't you'll just hurt the new speakers you purchase.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
butch1581
Captain

forgot to post the link:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

I do understand the whole 2/4ohm thing, my question is are these infinity speakers 2ohm or not they say they are, but then down the page they say "true four ohm" I think they are saying that the speaker is 2ohm but then because of the small speaker wire from the factory it creates 4ohm? either way if the factory speaker is rated at 2ohm and so are these I think I will be ok! thanks guys....

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Ben D.
Champion

they are 2 ohm coils. what they are saying about the true 4 ohm is sort of a gimic. while they are correct that the small gauge wiring will increase resistnace as well as heat the difference is fairly small. those speakers should work just fine boss.

and you are totally right the factory infinity stuff isn't that special. it's pretty much just a gimic. Precisely why I didn't order my turck with any factory upgrades. The only factory upgrade for stereo that is worthwhile is MYGIG and that wasn't available on 08's. just the standard DVD based gps. o and the 10 speaker boston setup in the chargers is mad nice. it's better unless you know it's good to just go base audio and upgrade because 9 times out of ten aftermarket is better

Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by butch1581
forgot to post the link:

I do understand the whole 2/4ohm thing, my question is are these infinity speakers 2ohm or not they say they are, but then down the page they say "true four ohm" I think they are saying that the speaker is 2ohm but then because of the small speaker wire from the factory it creates 4ohm? either way if the factory speaker is rated at 2ohm and so are these I think I will be ok! thanks guys....
You can always run higher ohm speakers, never lower(most cases) Those Infinity's will be only drawing a 4ohm load, so your power will be diminished a little. Their coils are 2ohm, but a heat transfer acts like a resistor in that line and makes it a 4ohm pull.

To answer your other questions, 6x9's are not bass only. They are midrange woofer and high's with sometimes 2 tweeters. In your Infinity system, factory is only woofer because there are 3.5" tweeters for the highs mounted in the front dash. Infinity makes component sets which are the same as factory style. I have Polk DB 6x9s 3-way up front. They sound great. The reason OEM uses seperate woofers, because they generally produce more bass with no centerpole protruding through the center portion of the woofer to hold the tweeter. That makes the speaker cone more rigid for more allowable bass.
Make your life easy. But those Infinity speakers. Plug them in and screw them in the door and call it a day! That wiring and Infinity amp stuff you don't want to deal with. It's a nightmare for wire haters...lol

Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Ben D.
Champion

true to that... that's why i stayed far away from doing infinity in mine. I want to get either an avicf90bt or the new avhp4100dvd which is mad nice. and just run maybe two tens or a single 12 and do a nice set of 6.5" components up front that can handle a good bit of juice. the new boston SPZ's are nice 150 wrms and run them on a four channel with a decent set of 5.25" coax in the rear. having infinity just makes replacing to aftermarket just that much of a PITA

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
butch1581
Captain

The 6x9's in my truck are only bass/mid what ever you want to call it, they only put out low frequency. Not sure what they are crossed over at, but I bought a set of pioneer 3-way 6x9's and hooked them up and NO higher frequencies came out of them. So not sure what to do there. I would like to get these for the rear:

But up front I know the dash speakers take care of the highs which are fine, just dont like how the 6x9 doors sound, and wish I could get some high frequencies out of them

Is there any speaker out there that is a TRUE 2ohm load then?

Another question:
If I were to tap into speakers to feed my amp for a sub, would I be better tapping into the 6x9's in front or the 6.5's in the rear. My factory head unit obviously does not have pre-outs, and my amp does have high level inputs. Just wondering where I am better off tapping into thanks again guys. I can't wait to get this thing sounding a little better...

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM
butch1581
Captain

Anybody hav any input. I might just try the Infinity's

Quick Reply: 06 Infinity Stereo System