3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new headers coming...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new headers coming...few questions

First off, I just bought this truck and it came with magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I got underneath and I think the prev. owner already removed the cats...cause I didnt see anything that looked like them (i expected them to be pretty big).

The exhaust goes from the stock manifold into the factory y-pipe. On the passenger side pipe is a small 12" long/5" diameter box (resonator??). After the factory y-pipe it goes 3" SI to 2.5" DO magnaflow muffler and out the rear.

It seems weird that he would take out the cats and leave the other stock stuff up there. Perhaps I just didnt see the cats (arent they big though??). If anyone has a pic of the stock setup up there, I'd appreciate it.

Moving on...

New headers coming!!! Gonna get the pacesetter LT headers from ebay (273 uncoated, painted black). Gonna have them ceramic coated at a local shop inside and out. Gonna get the pacesetter off-road pipe also. The cheapest I found it for is $160 at moesperformace.

Not sure about the gaskets...I hear the pacesetter gasket is better served for making paper airplanes. Anyone wanna reccommend some good inexpensive gaskets??

If anyone knows of anywhere cheaper to find the LT pacesetters and the y-pipe let me know please. thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Moe's is about your best bet and he's got a good gasket too...

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

thanks for the reply hammer. any others out there?? anyone? anyone? bueller?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
First off, I just bought this truck and it came with magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I got underneath and I think the prev. owner already removed the cats...
Can you pass emissions in CA without any cats? I have always heard that CA is the toughest state in the nation on emissions.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Can you pass emissions in CA without any cats? I have always heard that CA is the toughest state in the nation on emissions.
Ain't a way in hell, I wouldn't even pass in Cali with my relocated ones, even though I don't even generate a CEL and have no tricks like sims or non-foulers. Just the fact they are not in the stock location is enough to fail you there.

Good catch teach.... I never look to see where these guys are from, far as I'm concerned, they live far enough from me that they don't bug me to install their sh*t, good enough...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-13-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, somethings wrong, Are there sims? Otherwise you would be generating CEL.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

He's got to have cats if he's passed inspection. They hook up to the exhaust in cali, sims won't cut it there...

Old 02-14-2009, 03:18 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
He's got to have cats if he's passed inspection. They hook up to the exhaust in cali, sims won't cut it there...
Good Call. It must have cats. they must be really really small though. Even the cat on my s-10 was HUGE.

As for the new header job...fortunately, I'm military stationed in CA, but registering in PA. Granted PA has emissions as well, but because I'm stationed outside of PA, I never have to get the vehicle inspected or emissions tested anywhere...ever. Really sweet deal.

You brought up another question though... because I wont have cats (most likely) after the headers/y-pipe install, where do I find the sims to clear the CEL? Hammer, I understand you left your cats in there and just added them back into the y-pipe. Pics of how you did it? Is it worth the effort of putting the cats back in? Thanks guys

Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would just leave the cats. They aren't that restrictive and keep the exhaust from stinking. They are near the front of the Y pipe just back from the manifold flanges. a can looking deal, one on each side.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he has cats. that 12" long 5" diameter thing. there's one on the driver side too. it just looks like a bulge in the header, but each has an o2 sensor before and after it.

Quick Reply: new headers coming...few questions