3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Issues with 20"s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well....never had a problem gettin the truck aligned, but every dodge truck i've ever had has always developed a pull to the right over time....i've just never bothered with it, just dealt with it....tires never wore bad and nothin in the front end was bad so the hell with it

Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pulling could be any number of things, provided it actually is aligned properly, my first check would be the tires themselves, then tie rod ends, joints, suspension components etc. 20s do make for a rougher ride than 17s, because of weight and sidewall, and for the shaking over 60, is it consistent or intermittent? My truck will get a case of the shakes at high speed, and I've found it's usually over a certain patch of road that'll set it off.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro
The pulling could be any number of things, provided it actually is aligned properly, my first check would be the tires themselves, then tie rod ends, joints, suspension components etc. 20s do make for a rougher ride than 17s, because of weight and sidewall, and for the shaking over 60, is it consistent or intermittent? My truck will get a case of the shakes at high speed, and I've found it's usually over a certain patch of road that'll set it off.

I tested it out today.. It's from 60 mph to about 67 it shakes the most. Once I hit 70 the shaking stops. It's just normal road bumps once I hit that speed.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
jmann229

I just got new tires for the rear because i was going on a 900 mile trip and had to replace a upper ball joint on the drivers side, and front end allignment, they said they couldn't turn my rotors. mine has a slight pull to the right but it had that before the front end allignment and a print put of it, they adjusted the camber,caster, and toe back to the specified range, then on the paper it said i needed rotors, i was mad was upset because they didnt tell me that until they were "done"

Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

I'm gonna take it to the dealer to get it all looked at. Good thing I have a warranty

Old 03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Just an update.

I had all 4 wheels balanced today. The shaking is actually worse! It starts violently shaking at 60 mph. It shakes the entire truck. I sped up to 70 and it stops a bit. All I feel afterwards is road bumps. So I brought the truck back and they rechecked the tires and everything and still shakes violently...

Any ideas? With how violently it shakes the entire truck I'm having doubts about it being the alignment.

Edit: The shop said it might also be the wheels aren't torqued enough. The told me the torque specs were 95 ft-lb. Is that correct? If it isn't then could that be the reason why it shakes so violently?

Last edited by blakeroberts88; 03-01-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Alignment Issues with 20"s?