3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

wheel spacers? are they safe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheel spacers? are they safe??

ive heard some of you guys using the wheel spacers, but ive heard they are dangerous.
ive also heard they are perfectly fine.
so im wondering what, if any, kind of spacers you guys are using and how much spacing i would need for stock rims with 35's with just a 3" t-bar crank. i might stay with my 285/70/17
dueler revos. i am wanting the tires to stick out a lil bit and maybe later go with 35's.
any advice? or brands i should look at? im kinda sketchy about quality with ebay.
thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Back in the day, they were big time frowned on by the lift and off-road crowd from the time I got old enough to drive in the mid 80's through to about the last couple of years. I was always told by the 4x4 shop and tire shop guys that they were dangerous, especially with the torque off-roading can put on a tire/wheel.

Now all the sudden everybody is using them and they are OK?

I know an awful lot of guys use them now and I have only seen one time where the spacers specifically failed. A guy who is friends with a hunting buddy of mine got his Ford Powerstroke front tire wedged between a rock and a stump and when he went to try to back out, he literally snapped all the bolts clean off! But that's a diesel with a real front axle and aftermarket locker.

I kinda think they are said to be OK now because of the craze of lifting trucks, I don't know if the quality is any better than they used to be.

Personally, I'd spend the money on a properly backspaced and offset wheel and wouldn't consider spacers. But by the same token, I have no evidence to make me come right out and recommend you not get them either...

Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

thanks for the imput hammer!
the only reason i was considering it is the price difference between new rims and spacers. im definatly not made of money. im not the type of person to cut corners but when it comes down to brass tax, i just aint got the bank to back up my "automotive tastes".
i dont do much hardcore offroading, mostly romping around on river beach's and through the woods. i used to be a big fan of the mud but now with a ifs, im a little apprehensive.
i was just looking for a lil more agressive look as i think my truck looks too stock as it sits now.
anyone using spacers now have any imput?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im like to know too. thinking about getting some 1/2" or bigger spacers so i can ditch my spacers and get some spindles. i just havent seen any wheels that i like enough to justify the cost.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

oh i have found plenty of nice rims, just not much cash flow..
i was thinking about the 2" spacers, or do you think that would be too big??

Old 03-16-2009, 02:20 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Way too big. The added pressure on the wheel bearings from the center of gravity being moved out is not good.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 AM
nim81
Record Breaker

i guess I'll just keep trolling craigslist for some aftermarket rims, defiantly don't wanna have any problems like that

Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM
rebel61021
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found these on e-bay and got them for $100 should have them today and installed tom. will put up pics when done. these are 1.5 inch spacers and having my Tire shop put them on and rotate the tires at the same time and they will do it as long as they are the bolt on spacers/adapters that dont take away from the original stud lengh. they won't install the slip on ones becasue it shortens the studs.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
nim81
Record Breaker

post some pics when ya get em on there rebel!!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If getting spacers, get HUBCENTRIC!!! Hubcentric is what wheels are. They have a tight machined circumference with a small lip to go dirctly over the hub bearings. This will prevent any and all rounding out holes which has been the only problem known to spacers as far as I'm concerned. They are made out of the same material and strength as any wheel. I would not get 1/2" spacers as you will have to get longer studs installed. I installed 1" on my Mustang and the back of the wheels just hit the ends of the lugs which means the spacer wasn't big enough to tuck the acorn nuts inside. I would because of this recommend at least 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" spacer. The spacers get bolted on the factory lugs and the wheels gets bolted on new lugs. The lugs rom the factory will stick out and hit the back of the wheel unless you get the sizes mentioned. Only up to 3/8" spacer can be used without getting new lugs installed or going thicker spacer where it already has new lugs.
LXMAN is correct on the added stress of the wheels bearings, but honestly, who cares if you have a wheel bearing that starts to howl after 60kmi of spacer use(just a guess). The fronts bearings generally wear out much faster than the rears because the stress when making turns and those are easy to change. So, If you want 2" spacers, I say go for it, just be aware that without fender flares, your tuck will be constantly dirty and rock chips all down the side because your tires ill stick out that much.

I'm going to get 1-1/2" spacers myself but will be adding fender flares. I like my stock powdercoated 20's and want to keep them. So, the Hubcentric spacers are the way I will go. The worst thing that can happen is you bolt them up and you don't like it! You simply take them off and sell them on here....lol

Rebel....Those are not hubcentric. Make sure those are tightened very evenly. I would suggest tightening in order as usual and then only tightening an additional 20ft.lbs each one until fully tightened. This will provide an even torque that is much needed in your case and i would check them every oil change. Do not overtighten. You have aluminum wheels.

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-16-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers? are they safe??