3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really close to ordering an 05' but need a lil' help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 AM
stickshiftsrule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really close to ordering an 05' but need a lil' help

I have a very hard time finding trucks that I like (don't we all?).

My searching has shown me that only Dodge still knows how to make the kind of full-size truck that I would buy. The problem is this great unknown about the new getrag trannies. I test-drove a wrangler 4.0 6-speed the other day in the hopes of some insight on the new getrags. Well, it was in the middle of a snow storm so even in 4x4 I really couldn't get on it to much to see how well (and fast) it could be. It was different, but not sure if I liked it better than the NVG's that came before it, but the ratio's are all well matched.

Some searching has turned up a good amount of technical info on the new getrags, but I found one negative comment (can't remember what site) that said "get the NVG while you still can" "I've seen these new getrags and they are a sorry excuse for a transmission". I'm assuming he meant 04' leftovers, and sounded like he'd seen testing done on the new ones, of course he could be BS-ing as well.

Well, since I have tested an 03' 4.7 5-speed, I can say that I do like the NVG 3500 tranny. Unfortunatly, the dealer in possesion of this 03' ram is VERY crooked and will not give me fair trade-in value (actually the don't even want my trade at all!)(long story). So I have found a reputable dealer (I actually have known the sales manager for years) and I am working with them to find a ram 1500. They have tried to get that 03' from the other dealer, but no-go. The only other rams they can find (02-04) are not the configuration I'm looking for. So it lookes like I will have to order an 05 to get what I want.

So........what do I want you ask?????????????????

-reg cab, short bed, 4.7 V8 manny tranny and t-case. I have to have a short truck because of parking where I work.

The BIG question- AXLE ratio- 3.55's or 3.92's????????????????????????????
What am I most wanting????...............acceleration!! (with reasonable expectations)(I know it's heavy)
BUT......with the lower 1st gear in the getrag, is it still worth it to get the 3.92's with 17" wheels?? Or is it overkill??

Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Really close to ordering an 05' but need a lil' help

3.92 is better acceleration

3.55 is more of an econemy gear

Old 03-03-2005, 01:40 AM
stickshiftsrule

Yeah, I know a lower axle gear ratio is better for acceleration, but...........
I don't want to end up with a granny-like 1st gear, and the getrag 238 6-speed has a ratio of 4.23=1 already.
For comparison, an NVG 4500 has a 1st of 5.61=1 and that (while great for towing) is too low for a useable (empty) acceleration launch.

That 03' ram I tested had 3.55's, and yes 3.92's would have improved it's acceleration, but that was with an NVG 3500 5-speed and a higher ratio 1st gear.

I was leaning heavily towards the 3.92's, till I started thinking about the getrags gearing.

.......Isn't there a member here with a 4.7 and 4.56's??

Hmmmmmmmm......perhaps 3.92's would work good with that 4.23 1st gear........

decisions.........decisions.......???????

BTW- I'm not planning on going for (much) bigger tires later on. Wider probably, but no more than one size taller at most.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Go with the 3.92's if your gonna get the 4.7.
If you don't your gonna want to shoot yourself the first time you tow anything more than a bag of peanuts.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:24 PM
kc73

hey stickshift, you may want to talk to your dealer again about the getrag. my dealer said they are not building them now and may not ever put them in rams. BS, maybe... but you might want to check. just what i was told.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
stickshiftsrule

kc73- getrags were supposed to be late-availability on the 05's, but yes, I will check on that again. I'm doing this to get the 05' style before they change it in 06'. If your dealer is right........then that will change everthing for me. My current truck if paid off (02' Ranger FX4) and has low mileage, so trade-in value is good. But I only have an extra 2k to add to that right now. Usually I have more funds available when I buy something. However, by the time it was built and delivered I would have 3-4k to play with. Even so, I am only planning to get an ST 4x4 with minimal options.

GMsucks- and BTW- I really like that username![sm=smiley20.gif]
-I don't have any towing needs at all. I want the ram because of the room in the cab (I'm tall) and I want a V8 again. Only way to get that AND a stick in a 1500 is with the 4.7. Also, searches have led me to beleave that it's a very proven engine design. If I am mistaken I hope someone will say so BEFORE I buy one.

Personnally, I'm leaning towards the 3.92's, but like I posted above.........
I don't want the overall drive ratio of 1st gear to end up so low that it's like a creeper gear.
I've owned a truck with a borg/warner T-18 4-speed. That truck could tow very well, but 1st was too low to be used 99% of the time, and that truck had 3.55's.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

That tranny shouldn't be too bad in first (no 'granny low').
It'll have two overdrive ratios to account for the 6th gear not a lower first than should be acceptable.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
stickshiftsrule

Thanks Mr Sucks...........But um..........the getrag 238 is not listed as having two OD gears.

This is info I found at NewDodgeOrder.com

Dakota/Ram 1500 (3.7L, 4.7L)
Getrag 238 (sales code DEJ)
first (low)- 4.23
second- 2.53
third- 1.67
fourth- 1.23
fifth- 1.00
sixth- 0.79
reverse- 3.84

But I do think you are right that 3.92's with 17's will probably be okay, just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

OK 5th is direct, I was just guessing anyway.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just get a Hemi and not worry about the gears?

Quick Reply: Really close to ordering an 05' but need a lil' help