3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio is too quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down radio is too quiet!

Hey guys, had a few questions...

My 05 has just the stock radio in it- not the infinity system that you could get. Now i'm not one to "bump" to music like a lot of guys are into. I just want my stereo a little louder because realisticly- when i'm driving down the highway or at other times im always reaching to turn it up but its maxed out.
Maybe it doesnt seem loud because its a regular cab?
Anyone else notice this?

Could i somehow install the infinity system in my truck?
Or use a better speaker?

any suggestions would be great...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i would just replace your door speakers. i did in mine and it sounds a whole lot better. and maybe an aftermarket cd player bc they give out more power than the stock ones

Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Seanutz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah thats really all there is to it... even cheap Wally World speakers sound better... my stock speakers blew a few weeks ago and so I just bought the cheapos and they sound about 10x better...

Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Hoss356
Captain

It depends on what the wattage is of the replacements, a lot of the speakers I've run in the past would not sound good without an amp and definitely not good off a stock head unit. But as much as I'd like to upgrade, my rule of thumb has always been that I will only run amps off of rca's, and if I run one thing off of the rca's I'll run everything off of them. I never liked splitting the signal between the rca's and the heads internal amp. And out of all the speakers I've run, MB Quart-Pioneer-Kenwood-Sony-Orion, the last set of Orions I had installed my a car were the loudest and best quality sound of any brand I've used... mind you I never could afford the really expensive MB Quarts.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
mopar6spd
Veteran

sounds like if you didnt get the infinity, you got a pretty low quality system. I'll look into replacing the door speakers, im not trying to replace my head unit right now, cash flow is tight, and i like to keep the appearance of my truck pretty stock.

silver- did it sound any louder after replacing them? I dont know why but mine are so quiet. even my buddies 94 f150 gets louder than my truck..

hoss- you havent had much luck with your pioneers? I had installed them in a previous vehicle and they sounded pretty good..

Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i replaced the radio first and it sounded a little better. and then i replaced the door speakers and it sounded great. pioneers are a good brand.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

I would have put Pioneers in my truck had I the money at the time of replacement... Ive always used Pioneers and never had a problem with them. I agree whole heartedly with Silverbullet they are a really good brand.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Ive got a Pioneer HU, and I dont have the infinity speakers, and the decibel level definitely went up. I would start with a new deck, then get some new door speakers. Like posted above, even if you go to wally world and get some of the 2 way pioneer speakers they have. Or ebay... Or ask silver, he'll find you some. he knows where to get the components.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Speakers are the key. You want to look at the decibel per watt rating. The Walmart Pioneers are 93 DB per watt. That's pretty good. Most are around 88 to 90. They will definitely be louder than the stock ones which may be 85db per watt if lucky.
I still run the stock head unit in my 08 with Pioneer 6x9's in the front doors. I also wired in a pair of Infinity Reference 3.5" speakers in the dash. Sounds much better!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
bizznesman

glad we are on this topic because i have been into this stuff alot lately. like most everyone else in the world money is tight right now so i ave been looking for deals. ive never had a system before but planning on purchasing piece by piece.

right now i have the 4 speaker setup in the truck. just the door speakers. mine didnt come equipped with the dash speakers. is it possible to add dash speakers??? not too bright about equipment..sorry

just got my subs in the mail today. these right here

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status

next is amp and box

after speakers im getiing the jl clean sweep so i can keep the stock radio

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369

Quick Reply: radio is too quiet!