3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use NGK coppers, I change plugs a couple times a year and have had the best luck with NGK'S. The platinum plugs I tried did not last well for some reason (Bosch).

I would never use ait tools to install plugs or coil packs, my 1/4 in drive air ratchet would snap off the coil bolts in a heart beat(SnapOn) and it would be easy to cross thread plugs with air tools. I use a piece of rubber fuel hose with the plug end inserted into it to start the plugs, then toghten with a torque wrench.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Platinum is a resistor compared to copper. I'll stick with std NGK V-powers.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHildom
I think you all have good info on here. But if i was going to replace my plugs i would use a platinum plug they last last twice as long and they burn cleaner. But thats just my opinion and i'm only saying that because i just went to a tranning seminar on spark plugs last week. They even used the hemi motor as an example, the only reson dodge put the coper plug in the hemi was it cost them half as much and hemi owners are truck people, and tuck people like to change there plugs.
okay, so you spend more on the plugs. are you now going to replace them again in 30,000 miles like recommended, or are you going to "wave" that because you spent more money on plugs? Thats why we go with champion coppers...they are recommended, hemi runs great on em, and u gotta spend the money every 30,000 miles anyways.....but to each their own...

Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Hey TURBO, if you, like Platnum plugs then you have the right to run what ever you want in your truck. It's your truck, your engine, and your money your spending. Just keep in mind it is also Your opinion about the Platnum plugs.There are some on here that share that same opinion but there are also alot of us who don't and just like you have the right to run your plat's we have the right to run our CHAMPS. When I did the change in my 05 i put in Champion copper plus's cuz, as previously mentioned, you should change them every 30k. I don't think any body should be shot down cuz of their opinion. I get on this forum and read, read, read and read some more! Now there are some on here that I pay closer atention to than others cuz they have been on here forever and have had their trucks for a long while and have been through alot with them. Experiance is the best teacher. After I read what everybody has said and done then I draw my own conclusion from that and make my own desicions. Any thing that I respond to on here is soley from my own experiances cuz thats all I know. Personally I don't think I am experianced enough to post my own "HOW TO THREAD". Cuz if it's your first time doing something you are not an expert at it. it may have went very well for you, and if it did, good then keep doing it that way. There are many guys on here that have changed their plugs many more times than you or me and they may have a better way of doing it. Sorry for going on so long ... I'll shut up now

Last edited by BEAR; 04-05-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

well said bear!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For us that have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, I for one, will be following the maintenance schedule to the letter. Dodge says copper plugs, my Hemi is gonna get copper plugs, and at the recommended mileage.
They recommend Champion, because they have used then as OEM for as long as I can remember, but I prefer NGK V-Power plugs and That's what I will use. As long as I use the 5306 because they are copper core and will not void the warranty.

You can use whatever you want, I'll use a proven that has worked well in many of my other vehicles.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BEAR
Hey TURBO, if you, like Platnum plugs then you have the right to run what ever you want in your truck. It's your truck, your engine, and your money your spending. Just keep in mind it is also Your opinion about the Platnum plugs.There are some on here that share that same opinion but there are also alot of us who don't and just like you have the right to run your plat's we have the right to run our CHAMPS. When I did the change in my 05 i put in Champion copper plus's cuz, as previously mentioned, you should change them every 30k. I don't think any body should be shot down cuz of their opinion. I get on this forum and read, read, read and read some more! Now there are some on here that I pay closer atention to than others cuz they have been on here forever and have had their trucks for a long while and have been through alot with them. Experiance is the best teacher. After I read what everybody has said and done then I draw my own conclusion from that and make my own desicions. Any thing that I respond to on here is soley from my own experiances cuz thats all I know. Personally I don't think I am experianced enough to post my own "HOW TO THREAD". Cuz if it's your first time doing something you are not an expert at it. it may have went very well for you, and if it did, good then keep doing it that way. There are many guys on here that have changed their plugs many more times than you or me and they may have a better way of doing it. Sorry for going on so long ... I'll shut up now
And the silver truck club has spoken.......haha. well put bear, TOTM for u lol.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
bigHildom

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
well aslong as you went to a "seminar" on spark plugs you are now a lic mechanic right ?and we should believe everything you say.....well to each there own . i say IMO copper runs better on the hemi 9 out of 10 will agree and we didnt go to seminars we used the produts and tested them.

Well just because i went to a seminar doesn't mean i'm a mechanic but my 3 years of schooling and on the job experience says that i know a little about trucks but you can do what ever you want with your truck.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
abarmby
Champion

Give this guy a brake.................it's his opinion.
I run NGK Iridium LZTR4AIX-11 with petrol and LPG as fuel.
Never had so much as a hicup in 45K miles.
Have run NGK's in all my stuff for years and no problems.
Al.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:52 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Yup, can't go wrong with any NGK's. From my experience their quality control is far better than champs...standard plugs or not.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs