3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
turbospeed440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

Hello all,

After searching on here on how to replace and install the spark plugs in my 05 ram hemi pick up. I decided to make my own post since I couldnt really find a post that answered all my questions.

So here they all are.

To replace the the plugs is not a really hard job but not an easy one as well.

Easy would consist of a Honda civic. I think my mom could change those.

Hard would consist of a porsche 911 turbo.

The first thing you are gonna need are if u have a dual plug head is 16 plugs. Now ill give my two cents on this.

The factory ones are Champion. They are good but would keep them in my snowblower. why, quality control. if you blow a snow blower engine its only a few hundred. My truck engine is a lot more. Try selling champion to Porsche or BMW. Now i would suggest platinum ones only because they last longer. Plugs that are copper tips will start to wear out as soon as you install them. and for a few bucks more a plug get the better ones.

But you can get any plug you want as long as they are the correct gap (.045) and heat rang.

I started with the passanger side first.

here are the steps I took.

1. Remove the airbox cover and airfilter 1 hose clamp on airbox.

2. Remove the breather hose from the cover and disconnect the air boot attached to the intake. one hose clamp.

3. Remove the bottom half of the airbox. it just pulls out.

4. Now start by removing the coil packs. I found that if you use a 1/4 air rachet makes it easier to remove the packs. I also found it easier to disconnect the power lead from coil packs. I found it easier to open the plastic clamp that holds the heater hoses next to the last cylinder and push the hoses out of the way.

5. Now use a 3in extension and standard sparkplug socket attached to a 3/8 air rachet to remove the plugs.

6. Once all are remove and replaced just reverse the order and install the coilpack and airbox.

7. The drivers side is a bit harder.

8. The front two cylinders are easy.

9. The back two i found work really well if you use the 1/4 inch air rachet and standard 10mm socket to remove the coil packs. You can remove the vaccum line that attaches to the brake booster to give you more room if you like. I did.

10. Once the packs are off if u drop in the spark plug socket first then the 3in extension and use the 3/8 air rachet it works easy. I found you might have to crawl into the engine compartment to reach but im short. When replacing the plugs just drop in the socket attach the extention and use the airrachet.

11. Once all the plugs are in just replace the coil packs and reinstall the vaccum line. Thats it.

It took me about 2.5 hours to replace all 16. That was with people calling and stoppin by. I hope this all helps out. I will include pics in the next few days.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

ok im going to bite my tounge on this one...... see guys i can controll the anger

their is nothing wrong with champion copper plugs if they were bad the manufacture would not have used them . they are a 30k plug and are cheap . the hemi engin does not like expensive plat plugs for some reason.
your post is informative on the install but your theory on plugs smells like dog $hit

Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Alpheus
Banned

You beat me to it. DONT BUY THE HIGH PRICED PLUGS!!! Champion or NGK Work great. Also I do not agree with using an air ratchet for install.

Last edited by Alpheus; 04-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

i tried buying platinums from my stealership, who loves to make money off us people, and they would only sell me stock champions. and, there is plenty of info on champions on here.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

and...not everyone here uses air tools. i do, but most dont have access to them. so some might not understand exactly how u did it.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hemi's require a copper core plug. They like hot spark. Platinum is not as good of a conductor and although it last longer, does not spark hot enough. If you would have looked in the FAQ sub-forum, you would have seen the write-up on the older (with plug wires) Hemi plug changes

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-5-7-hemi.html

Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
bigHildom
Default platinum are the way to go

I think you all have good info on here. But if i was going to replace my plugs i would use a platinum plug they last last twice as long and they burn cleaner. But thats just my opinion and i'm only saying that because i just went to a tranning seminar on spark plugs last week. They even used the hemi motor as an example, the only reson dodge put the coper plug in the hemi was it cost them half as much and hemi owners are truck people, and tuck people like to change there plugs.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by bigHildom
I think you all have good info on here. But if i was going to replace my plugs i would use a platinum plug they last last twice as long and they burn cleaner. But thats just my opinion and i'm only saying that because i just went to a tranning seminar on spark plugs last week. They even used the hemi motor as an example, the only reson dodge put the coper plug in the hemi was it cost them half as much and hemi owners are truck people, and tuck people like to change there plugs.
well aslong as you went to a "seminar" on spark plugs you are now a lic mechanic right ?and we should believe everything you say.....well to each there own . i say IMO copper runs better on the hemi 9 out of 10 will agree and we didnt go to seminars we used the produts and tested them.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by turbospeed440
Hello all,

After searching on here on how to replace and install the spark plugs in my 05 ram hemi pick up. I decided to make my own post since I couldnt really find a post that answered all my questions.

So here they all are.

To replace the the plugs is not a really hard job but not an easy one as well.

Easy would consist of a Honda civic. I think my mom could change those.

Hard would consist of a porsche 911 turbo.

The first thing you are gonna need are if u have a dual plug head is 16 plugs. Now ill give my two cents on this.

The factory ones are Champion. They are good but would keep them in my snowblower. why, quality control. if you blow a snow blower engine its only a few hundred. My truck engine is a lot more. Try selling champion to Porsche or BMW. Now i would suggest platinum ones only because they last longer. Plugs that are copper tips will start to wear out as soon as you install them. and for a few bucks more a plug get the better ones.

But you can get any plug you want as long as they are the correct gap (.045) and heat rang.

I started with the passanger side first.

here are the steps I took.

1. Remove the airbox cover and airfilter 1 hose clamp on airbox.

2. Remove the breather hose from the cover and disconnect the air boot attached to the intake. one hose clamp.

3. Remove the bottom half of the airbox. it just pulls out.

4. Now start by removing the coil packs. I found that if you use a 1/4 air rachet makes it easier to remove the packs. I also found it easier to disconnect the power lead from coil packs. I found it easier to open the plastic clamp that holds the heater hoses next to the last cylinder and push the hoses out of the way.

5. Now use a 3in extension and standard sparkplug socket attached to a 3/8 air rachet to remove the plugs.

6. Once all are remove and replaced just reverse the order and install the coilpack and airbox.

7. The drivers side is a bit harder.

8. The front two cylinders are easy.

9. The back two i found work really well if you use the 1/4 inch air rachet and standard 10mm socket to remove the coil packs. You can remove the vaccum line that attaches to the brake booster to give you more room if you like. I did.

10. Once the packs are off if u drop in the spark plug socket first then the 3in extension and use the 3/8 air rachet it works easy. I found you might have to crawl into the engine compartment to reach but im short. When replacing the plugs just drop in the socket attach the extention and use the airrachet.

11. Once all the plugs are in just replace the coil packs and reinstall the vaccum line. Thats it.

It took me about 2.5 hours to replace all 16. That was with people calling and stoppin by. I hope this all helps out. I will include pics in the next few days.
I like you already...be aware this site has a lot of champ cheapy nut huggers.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
ok im going to bite my tounge on this one...... see guys i can controll the anger

their is nothing wrong with champion copper plugs if they were bad the manufacture would not have used them . they are a 30k plug and are cheap . the hemi engin does not like expensive plat plugs for some reason.
your post is informative on the install but your theory on plugs smells like dog $hit
Originally Posted by lxman1
Hemi's require a copper core plug. They like hot spark. Platinum is not as good of a conductor and although it last longer, does not spark hot enough. If you would have looked in the FAQ sub-forum, you would have seen the write-up on the older (with plug wires) Hemi plug changes

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-5-7-hemi.html
Platinums also have a copper core guys...it's the tip that makes them last longer/hold gaps longer/resist oxidation longer.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs