3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Eh, whatever. I don't even think I'm going to bother bringing it in then. I just find it very annoying. I'm just surprised so many people are OK with the fact there engines all tick...talk about a factory defect. I'm 19, and I seem to be attracted to the dodges, but there are just some things that really bother me about dodge, and that's little things like this. With my 2nd generation, it was accepting cracked dashes and crappy transmissions. Now it's having to accept a ticking sound from the engine....that kinda sucks.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
'Eh, whatever. I don't even think I'm going to bother bringing it in then. I just find it very annoying. I'm just surprised so many people are OK with the fact there engines all tick...talk about a factory defect. I'm 19, and I seem to be attracted to the dodges, but there are just some things that really bother me about dodge, and that's little things like this. With my 2nd generation, it was accepting cracked dashes and crappy transmissions. Now it's having to accept a ticking sound from the engine....that kinda sucks.

then trade it off to a real man and buy a import !!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
tell them all you want there is no fix for the "hemi tick" its what we all have yours just a bit louder than most....
look on the bright side fords dont tick they just suck goat nads.
IMO i would rather drive a ticking hemi over a nad suckin ford
I think there is a fix bc I am fairly certain that there was a service bulletin about the exhaust valve guides being slightly off causing the tick. I have also read about guys who have eliminated or greatly reduced the tick with slightly longer push rods. Don't know how well either solution has worked for everyone but I know these solutions have worked for some guys.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
then trade it off to a real man and buy a import !!!!!!
A "real man" isn't dependent upon what type of vehicle they drive, it's what they do in life that illustrates that...a truck not being one of those attributes.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

If it is free to get it looked at why wouldn't you take it in? Giving up without trying isn't going to get it fixed and I will say this again, yours sounds a lot worse than the typical hemi tick.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I think there is a fix bc I am fairly certain that there was a service bulletin about the exhaust valve guides being slightly off causing the tick. I have also read about guys who have eliminated or greatly reduced the tick with slightly longer push rods. Don't know how well either solution has worked for everyone but I know these solutions have worked for some guys.
So what do you think? Just give it a shot, and drop it with them? I can't imagine them actually taking apart the motor, but mine as well try.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

take it in man could be somethin like a rod or spring your video was pretty loud. just take it in

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Take it in, you just got this truck so this will be your best chance of getting them to fix it.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would see whats up , dont just assume its the hemi tick

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

So what do you think? Just give it a shot, and drop it with them? I can't imagine them actually taking apart the motor, but mine as well try.
So did you end up taking it in today and if you did take it in what did they say?

Quick Reply: '05 Ticking Noise