3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I figured out a way to upload the audio file.

This was a sound clip from yesterday morning when I started the truck:http://sites.google.com/site/01dodge...attredirects=0

And this was tonight when I picked the truck up from the detail shop. It also took many cranks to get it started, seemed odd:http://sites.google.com/site/01dodge...attredirects=0

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
ramPOW3R

well, my 5.9 sure don't tick. consider downgradin. take it easy bubs.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok fellas, I dropped the truck with the dealership today. I even showed the front desk guy the audio clip of the ticking sound. He said it sounded like a diesel truck. So he defiantly heard it. I also had them look at the e-brake, it's incredibly hard to apply, and it hardly functions. I mentioned to them as well that the truck has been turning over way more than it should on cold starts too. So, lets see what they come back with this time around...sigh.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I can't believe all the issues you are having with this truck already. Make sure you keep us updated this time when the dealer gets back to you. We like details.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Lol, yeah. The issues aren't even really detrimental to the way it drives, but I have no issue bringing it to them after how much I paid. If the tick wasn't loud, you wouldn't even know about it because the motor runs great. But, I am a perfectionist, and I cannot stand weird noises coming from something I paid a lot of money for. I will for sure keep this post updated, I told them I need the truck back by 3pm Saturday.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yesterday I dropped the truck off with the dealership in the early morning. I went through the list of things I wanted looked at, and left them with the keys. On my home from work last night around 8pm, I stopped by the shop and noticed they hadn't even moved the truck the entire day, I was pissed. So today around 3pm, I called them and asked for an update. As I expected, they didn't come up with anything. When I arrived at the dealership, I was a little irritated, and I expressed that to the front desk lady. She kept telling me to bring it back Tuesday to show the service manager, but I said to just forget about it because I had already brought it twice for the same reason and got the same result both times. Then after she could tell how irritated I was, she told me that I should bring it to the dodge dealership, and if they saw something unusual, she would sub the job out to them. I told her that would make me happy, and I walked out of there a little happier. So sometime next week, I'm going to stop over at the bankrupt dodge dealership and get their opinion on the ticking noise. I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Think I figured out a way to upload the audio file.

This was a sound clip from yesterday morning when I started the truck:http://sites.google.com/site/01dodge...attredirects=0

And this was tonight when I picked the truck up from the detail shop. It also took many cranks to get it started, seemed odd:http://sites.google.com/site/01dodge...attredirects=0
Yea dude that's a pretty bad knock...mine whistles a bit at idle (probably tensioner) and has a tick under load but there shouldn't be a knock like that. Made this quick idle vid the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntE55pVpU5Y

Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Sorry guys, forgot to update you with the tick.

Last Wednesday, I dropped the truck with the dealership about the knocking noise. When I pulled in there, man was it depressing, just looked so desolate. Anyways, I told the front desk guy about the ticking noise, and even showed him the sound clip from my phone. Of course whenever I start the truck to show people, it refuses to make the sound. Then to add insult to injury, I hate the dumb mechanic who was eavesdropping on my situation, tell me, "Oh yeah, that motors are just loud, if the used dealership didn't put the right weight oil in, that could cause the problem too." As soon as he said that, I knew exactly what they were going to do....change the oil. So they called the dealership I bought the truck from to make sure she had in fact authorized me to come over to the dodge dealership for it to be serviced. Of course the bitch who sent me told them they wouldn't cover diagnostic time, which really pissed me off. So while it was going to be there, I asked them to look over the entire vehicle.

About 5 hours later, I got a call back from Dodge. He told me everything looked great, and that the other dealership had put 5w-30 in, as opposed to the recommended 5w-20 in. I knew they would just do that. Sure enough when I got there, the ticking noise was still there, but of course all the mechanics were gone. And I was stuck with an $80 labor bill. I was even more pissed because I called my salesperson at the used dealership to complain how they wouldn't cover the diagnostic time, and I asked them to at least go half way, and he never even called me back. So all I got, was a free oil change....***s.

So now, my truck still ticks. And to further **** me off, it's been starting like **** the last three mornings on the first cold start. Can anybody explain what would cause this? It has to turn over like four times the usual amount of time just to start it. I hope my update wasn't too pessimistic.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:28 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Typical dealer BS man and the lazy techs that work on them...lazy for warranty work anyway.

For the cold starts you could try putting the key to run and wait 3-5 seconds for the fuel pump to prime and build pressure....if that works then you could have a lazy pump.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Awesome, thanks Distortion, I will give that a shot the next time I start the truck. If it is bad, it's going right back to the used car dealership. I just hadn't been sure if the ticking noise and the hard starts were associated or not.

Quick Reply: '05 Ticking Noise