3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What happens to my warranty when Chrysler files bankruptcy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats understandable; however, but the time a judge makes his/her decision it might be too late. I guess it is a gamble. I paid for the warrant with a check along with tax, title, and a $2,000 down payment. So I would imagine I would have to go through Chrysler. I dont know am freakin lost......

Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Cheeech
Banned

They will still have to honor the warranty for exactly what you have now. No matter which company owns them afterwards. Chrysler itself will still be around after the whole economy slump. Whether or not it retains the original owners is another story.

In the end, they cannot decline Lifetime Powertrain warranties even if they file bankruptcy and nobody bought them out. They still have to pay. It's more complicated than I could ever explain. Simple is you'll be covered. it's contract!

Extra bonus warranties that are sold on new/used vehicles will probably be bought out by another company who will have to honor your warranty. Chrysler may outsource all extended warranty services. It's just like your mortgage. It can go through several hands and you've got no say. My mortgage went through 3 different lenders before it ended at Countrywide. I had to track down each and every lender it was sold to so i caould pay my payments. it was a hassle.
Now with extended warranty services that have already been sold, they MAY actually outsource to smaller garages as they had started back in '06 somewhat. that means, Joe shmuck can touch your car and not a dealer.

Last edited by Cheeech; 04-25-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:47 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Watch this... the damn company will dissipate before I have my damn Ram.. LOL guess its a good thing I am looking at a used one, least they will be out there and around... I hope the dealership that I want to get it from will still be in business... not only cause its where I want to buy but I worry about the people i know at this dealership and their families... cause one family is the reason why I am buying there...

--Cow-Chick--

Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
slackjaw71

My local Dodge dealer didn't know anything about the bankruptcy. The Chrysler LLC lifetime bumper to bumper warranty gets cashed out through the dealer though.

The finance officer at the dealer told me they'd send a check to the credit union and it would come off the principal. We didn't cash it in yet, we're waiting to hear from our credit union about their after-market 7 year 100k warranty and who services the warranty.

I think we'll end up cashing in the bumper to bumper and hoping for the powertrain warranty to remain in tact.

When GM bought Daewoo, GM did NOT honor the warranty on Daewoo's sold prior to the purchase. (I don't remember if I read that on this forum or on yahoo finance).

Tim

Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If they go under, then I will lose my warranties. I will also not pay for the vehicles. This is breech of contract.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by slackjaw71

I think we'll end up cashing in the bumper to bumper and hoping for the powertrain warranty to remain in tact.

When GM bought Daewoo, GM did NOT honor the warranty on Daewoo's sold prior to the purchase. (I don't remember if I read that on this forum or on yahoo finance).

Tim
If this was the case. The main reason behind that was they dropped the car line entirely and had no parts to do such a thing. I'm sure there could have been owners that could have fought, but lets face it....If you owned or own a Daewoo, your not in the position to afford an attorney to go up against GM. Can't say the same for Chrysler...$$$$$
And yes it is a breech of contract although there are loopholes in which those guys create in the first place to sneak through untouched. It will be a diff story with the Gov't in control over them. Who really knows then....lol

Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Contract law has nothing to do with this. The whole point of bankruptcy is to disolve contractual obligations.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Fortunately for us, the Exalted One declared that our warranties would be guaranteed by the Federal government. link

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Only on vehicles bought after his decree.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
Fortunately for us, the Exalted One declared that our warranties would be guaranteed by the Federal government. link

As stated earlier, the US Govt. is covering warranties on NEW VEHICLE PURCHASES, DURING THE RECONSTRUCTIVE PERIOD! This has been defined by the White House as vehicles purchased AFTER March 30, 2009.

I was a victim of this once before. I bought a Bass Boat in 1999. OMC (Johnson/Evenrude) declared bankruptcy about a year or so after. I had purchased 5 years of warranty coverage, that I was informed, in writing, would be null and void.
Personally, I don't feel good about anyone's warranties on vehicles purchased prior to the government backing that started AFTER March 30...

Quick Reply: What happens to my warranty when Chrysler files bankruptcy?