3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-FAN tell me what you guys thinks about this one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dedogg
thanks i am thinking about ordering it tonight. Just wanted to make sure that it would fit and work.
It fits perfect and works great on our trucks.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

You will have to fab up some brackets to hold it in the stock shroud and buy a controller and a relay for it. I just did mine and total cost was around 127 for everything except the heavy gauge power and ground wires which I had lying around.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard is the setup for this? Take a couple of hours or all day? Just wondering how long it takes cause I'm somewhat lazy but I am not as lazy as Dedogg

Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

It is a couple hour job. Just make sure you have what you need before you start. You will need some material to fab brackets out of, something to get the stock clutch fan off with, wiring and a controller.

Here are some instructions that some guy wrote up https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...c-fan-diy.html

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Nice write up, kinda wish I had seen it before I did mine but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Alpheus
Banned

I got My e-fan from p&p out of a 3.8 liter Ford Taurus for 26 dollars the relays I for for free I just ripped some out of some Ford Tauruses. I got the Temp controller from Advanced Auto Parts for 17 bucks and the 10 gauge wire and 2 fuse holders from Radio Shack. I hooked the low speed to Condensor fan and the high speed to the temp controller. As for the Myth that this fan pulls 100 amps on start up and you need giant relays is crap. I am a wiz when it comes to electronics and I measured the amps that this fan pulls in many different situations. Even holding the fan blade with my hand and starting it up only pulled 61 amps. It pulls 36 amps at start up and runs a constant 24 amps after that. I am running 2 40 amp fuses and the 2 Ford relays for a long time now and never had a problem. If you need any help let me know and I will walk you through it. I have less than 50 bucks in the install...

Last edited by Alpheus; 04-25-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

thanks guys Im gonna order the fan tonight. I gotta look up DIY and get ready. So from what I gather I need to get temp controller (auto parts store), 2 relays (do they have to be for a taurus, what should i ask for at the auto store?), 2 40amp fuse holders with fuses, right? Plus I gotta figure out a way to get it to set in place. Am I missing anything?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I used this write up http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php and all the parts they listed, and wired it up just like in the diagram. One relay should be in the controller you get and I got a 75 amp just like the write up I linked to says to get. Yea it may be overkill but better safe than sorry. I think you have all the info you need, but be aware that this job can take longer than a few hours. It took me a whole day to get it all working and have everything routed and tied together neatly.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Off Road Teacher I read you DIY, wow nice job. But that freakin contoller is spendy, I may have to go a junk yard to get my fan. DAMN........

Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Alpheus
Banned

The controller I got did not have a relay. Its just a open switch with a heat probe that closes when the temp you set is reached. As for the relays I used a Ford relay part #
FOAB 14B192-AA 8236-1 09 2R If you cant find any for cheap or free and can wait a couple days I will send you a couple for free. I pulled about 15 of these things when I was at Pick & Pull... If you want I can draw up the wiring diagram I used also. It simplifies the wiring...

Quick Reply: E-FAN tell me what you guys thinks about this one.