3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And Joe hows changing your user name going, lol. And you, me and Mike need to get a bunch of trucks together and do a couple runs at the strip at Oxford!?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
halcyonfox

How embarrassing to be beaten by a little Danger Ranger! I've noticed that my Hemi has a bit of hesitation on a fast takeoff. I don't red light race ever though, I live in Houston and it's a super good way to get t-boned as we all run the red lights. Despite the slight hesitation, I still can whip out into some moving traffic and that's what I need my giddyup for.

And get you some Flowmasters! I get such a childish delight when I drive by and set off car alarms. Hehe!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Have somewhat of an embarrassing story to tell lol...

Tonight on my way to work, I hit a red light at an intersection. Once you cross the intersection, it goes from two lanes to one, so you have to throttle it sometimes if you don't want to get stuck behind somebody for miles. Anyways, I pulled up at the light in the left lane next to an "old man" Ford Ranger, had to have been the v6. I nudged a little bit ahead of him, and I was prepared to have to give it a little bit in case he wanted to give me a hassle. Usually people don't floor it on me, so I don't always like to just floor it for no reason. After sitting at the light for about 2 minutes, it turned green, and much to my surprise, the guy in the Ranger floors it. I immediately was caught off guard, but hadn't planned on flooring on it. So he got ahead of me about a truck length before I decided to mash it. However even at full throttle, I just couldn't get ahead of him and the next thing I knew, I had run out of room to squeeze by him. I couldn't believe it, the Ranger smoked me lol. Granted I would have won if I had floored it when the light turned green, but still, I was very confident I was going to catch up lol. A Ranger?!
I didn't read everyones responses so if i'm repeating something sorry

Sounds like the tranny shifted to at least second before you decided to go WOT...and then the tranny decided not to downshift to first for whatever reason. This has happened to me a few times and you just slowly go up the rpms (slow compared to a instant downshift hitting 5k rpms). It'll also happen at certain speeds from a high roll. They're called "dead spots" and every unstalled automatic has them...best thing to do is learn where they are at any given speed and avoid going WOT around them. Or put a high stall TC in and forget about it.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Stortion, I agree with you. You know when you've hit a dead spot when you feel like your going to blow your motor up, it just doesn't feel healthy. I got stuck in a terrible gear, but I was still very sure I could overcome a ranger regardless of the gear, but there I was, being held off by a ranger lol.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Today when I was driving my truck, I hit another dead spot. I was behind this dumb b*tch who wouldn't pull off in the damn turn lane to turn. So to avoid someone pulling out in front of me, I hammered on my truck, downshifted for 2-3 seconds, then it shifted back up. Didn't gain much speed at all. I also got beat by a buddy through this. He came from behind me, and was picking up speed. When he got by me, I punched it, and my truck wouldn't downshift. I wasn't picking up any rpms or speed hardly, so I should have pulled right past him. I think the best thing to do, as partly mentioned before, is to hammer on it, then pull back a little bit.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Good points. I'm hoping the new exhaust system will free up some of the dead spots. I'll be getting rid of that nasty big muffler, the resonator, and the stock y-pipe.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Exhaust won't help

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Lol sweet! I'm doing the exhaust primarily for aesthetics, but I am hoping for somewhat of a boost from it. I can't imagine the stock exhaust configuration being very helpful when it comes to letting the exhaust flow freely.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Lol sweet! I'm doing the exhaust primarily for aesthetics, but I am hoping for somewhat of a boost from it. I can't imagine the stock exhaust configuration being very helpful when it comes to letting the exhaust flow freely.
Oh yea power wise it'll help but the dead spots won't be effected...get a 4000 stall TC and you'll be golden

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Can our truck run on that high of a stall? I don't know much about it, because everything that Hammer was saying went right over my head, but last time this was brought up, I thought it was said that you don't want too high of a stall.
And if you get rid of the stock y-pipe, you should get some help. I stared at that y-pipe for a long time on my uncle's Durango changing oil on it, and it just looks so horribly compared to the ones on his GM's when I changed the oil on those trucks.

Quick Reply: Hemi Performance