3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Performance

Now I know the 2nd generation ram guys would be laughing at me for this post, but I think this truck fits the cut for this kind of a thread much better than my 2nd generation ram could..

Anyways, last night I got a chance to line them up with my buddies '06 F-150. We've been kind of talking about doing it the last couple of weeks, but I've just been so busy to have time. Last night, after we were leaving my parents house, we both headed home, we live near each other. My friend wanted me to race him, but I told him I didn't think I'd have a chance until I had an exhaust and an intake. I had my brother in the truck, and he was egging me on to race my friend. So, I told my brother to text him and see if he wanted to. And sure enough, he was interested.

My buddies Ford has the 5.4L v8 with 3.73 gears. It also has a flowmaster 40 cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, and a hypertech programmer. It goes incredibly well, and the modifications did a world of difference for that truck. To make it short, we found a wide open stretch, and I pulled along side of him in the other lane. Then at the third beep, we both slammed the throttles and sat there somewhat disabled as we peeled out, (one tire fire sweet!) then after I got traction around 40mph my truck just took off and never looked back. I held him off the entire way. I was shocked, he was shocked, and all I could do was grin. I can't imagine how nice these trucks go with a little bit of work to them, it's an exciting thought.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes neon this is a you topic but ill throw this out there these newer trucks have alot of power and will out do our 2nd gens i bought the 4.7 and honestly i think it out performed my modded 5.2 i am very impressed with my truck and im sure i wouldve been more impressed by the hemi but i couldnt refuse the deal but im not throwing stones its all in fun.....j

Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Nice kill...good thing neither of you know how to launch

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Lol, I'm sure I'll get better at it. Honestly, it was the first time I opened the truck up. I just found it stunning how badly he lost even with those modifications. I just really like this truck. It does everything better than my 2nd generation. It drives smooth, it's big, spacious, powerful, better on gas, better looking. I can't get over how nice it is. I can't wait to hear a rumble on this beast, it's going to be even more fun to drive.

Jusjay, I test drove a 4.7L that looked identical to the truck I own now, and it still had plenty of power.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Was it you that had the bad knock at idle? If it is you obviously aren't losing power from it.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Haha, yes, that would be me. You are correct about that, it doesn't effect the performance of the truck. I just was grosed out by the stock exhaust on my truck though. When I looked under there yesterday, I saw so many bottlenecks: the restrictive y-pipe, the massive muffler, and then the resonator, uh, want to get rid of that asap.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Haha, yes, that would be me. You are correct about that, it doesn't effect the performance of the truck. I just was grosed out by the stock exhaust on my truck though. When I looked under there yesterday, I saw so many bottlenecks: the restrictive y-pipe, the massive muffler, and then the resonator, uh, want to get rid of that asap.
make sure you remove the resonators on your hemi , we didnt have those on 2nd gen rams

Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

way to go bro! Yeah a few mods and you'll be amazed!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

I love that you beat NANIA! Lol, MY TURN!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

How bad did you beat him anyway....4-5 lengths? On paper the 5.4's look pretty good with a nice amount of torque down low but for some reason they're pretty slow.

Quick Reply: Hemi Performance